To the successful breeders of B. Smithi... a Question.

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What tricks or tips could you give me to help me get an eggsac out of my female... a cooldown period or anything... she's been successfully inseminated by my male on three different occasions. Now, I just want to make sure I get a sac out of her, or at least put forth a reasonable effort to do so.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how long has she being gravid or when did you mate her,all i can say is try introduce a wet period(ie rainy season)most spiders wait until the wet season to produce an egg sack!

hope this helps
Brendan;)

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She was mature when I got her, not seen to be gravid, but she's a good 5 inches at least. She was first mated with my male on Oct 7, again on the 24, and finally last night. Four good inserts were witnessed during the first pairing, two, possibly three were witnessed on the second pairing, and there was a good three to five inserts on the final pairing, he just kept poking her... LOL. I know she's been inseminated, just trying to get a bearing on when I could expect an eggsac, and if there's anything I can do to increase my chances of success as this is my very first breeding attempt.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It will be around this time next year before you see an egg sack or maybe in 10 months

all the best
Brendan

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i mated mine in November last year. flooded the tank in March, had a sac in may.

SubZero

Arachnopeon
Has not bred smithi before but has got an egg sac out of B bohemei and B auratum, bohemei dropped a sac about 2 months after mating while my auratum dropped after 2 weeks, I live in a tropical country and in both cases did not introduce a wet or cool down period, everything remains the same, hope that helps a bit

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the info. It's going to be very helpful. Some of this I wasn't aware of, and some of it I wasn't exactly sure of.