how long after mating can I expect to wait for:
1) egg laying in the fecal balls? :eek:
2) when the female will head out to the choir invisible? :(

thanks

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure I believe the stories about AGB's dying after laying eggs. This idea seems to have come from various anecdotal reports from hobbysits, but I'd say it's too early to say it's true, as they are other reports of them living for years and continuing to reproduce yearly! Also, if does seem to be happening, in could be the result of inadequate husbandry or diet. An animal weakend by malnutrition or poor care may still live a long time, but the strain of egg production may be too much for them and they die shortly after completeing the task. I'd say don't assume she's going to die, just make sure your husbandry and feeding practices are up to snuff.

I also used to believe that AGB's make fecal capsules for their eggs, but I learned recently that this isn't the case either. Although this is how most millipedes lay eggs, spirostreptids actually just lay eggs in the substrate. Even though I've bred these millipedes a number of times, I was unaware of this since I don't routinely dig in the substrate for fear of harming molting millipedes.

As far as timeline is concerned, it's hard to say. You may not know when egglaying occurs, since if you have a proper set up there's no need to take them out or mess with them. It seems like my current babies turned up many months after I witnessed mating activity.

Elytra and Antenna have a millipede book coming out in the near future. I was fortunate to get a sneak peek, and it's going to be a tremendous help to anyone who keeps millipedes! When it comes out, it should be available at www.elytraandantenna.com

Wade

strat321 said:
I think I have a mated pair of millis. :clap:

Soooo...
how long after mating can I expect to wait for:
1) egg laying in the fecal balls? :eek:
2) when the female will head out to the choir invisible? :(

thanks

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Last issue (I think) of Invertebrates magazine had a great article on AGBs. I did now know that they lay eggs once a year or so around August on top of the substraight. Through in some semi-decomposed oak leaves on top. This should stimulate them to lay the eggs under the leaves.

Bob

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
none of my AGBs have died after mating, but I have experienced this with other species.
i have seen eggs from a different species, as tiny yellow dots in the soil, about the size of this .

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bob said:
Last issue (I think) of Invertebrates magazine had a great article on AGBs. I did now know that they lay eggs once a year or so around August on top of the substraight. Through in some semi-decomposed oak leaves on top. This should stimulate them to lay the eggs under the leaves.

Bob
The guy that wrote that article is also writing the book I mentioned. :D

Wade

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yup Wade..............Orin should run out of subject matter any day now ! He has written on just about everything :D

Bob

strat321

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
now I know I have a mating pair....

strat321 said:
I think I have a mated pair of millis. :clap:

the GABs have had sexual activity several times. Does this cause a problem for the female (i.e. should I separate them for awhile)

thanks.
:?