thought's

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
>>I agree though, something does need to be done.

I was just thinking how I would attempt this.....
How about placing the pede in a plastic clear tube as shown in the Carl Sadwfer book. You would have to have some small holes near the infected area so you could use small tweezers to remove the mites. Then again this would strees the pede.........

I recieved three Heros from Hatari Invertebrates last summer with ice packs in the box. I kind of freaked out when I opened the box to see an ice pack but I suppose the strees level was minimised with the ice pack ? I guess point being that maybe cooling the centipede could calm it down before treatment.
No mater what...........taking a few chances..............

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well just nuked the substrate,washed the tank out and did my best on the brushing mites off thing.just not goin to let any of the substrate get damp,and just watch the situation.:(

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wayne
let us know how you get on also is that the only pede with mites as they could of spread to other pedes

john

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Originally posted by wayne the pain
No i didnt steralise it.
Wayne,
Don't know if this is any help,but I always give peat a few minutes in the microwave at full power,before using it for invert substrate,Vermic being inorganic material doesn,t harbour pests.
George

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking these mites are proably NOT the usual scavanger type mites that turn up in many arthropod cages. Usually, they congregate on prey remains and only become a problem when the numbers get out of hand. Drying out the cage will keep the numbers down when dealing with this type.

The mites on Wayne's pede, however, seem to be attached and actually feeding on the pede. I've seen these on pedes before, and they are usually difficult to dislodge mechanically. I suspect that drying out the cage might not help much (well, maybe a little) because they are getting their moisture from the pede! Changing the substrate may help to keep the problem from spreading, but as long as there's mites on the centipede itself it won't go away.

Again, Hypoaspis is the best answer if you can get them. Whenever I buy them, I treat all my moist cages, even if there's no visible problem. They actually prey on an consume the parasites, and then cannibalise each other, and finnally die off when the food is gone. Harmless to the pets!

Wade

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have used the Hypoaspis mites with a great deal of success on my millipedes. The only tome they didn't get rid of the problem is when the animal I was trying to treat was more than 40% covered with harmful stupid little white mites, that I am sorry to say look like yours. BUT your pede has only some mites not a wicked infestation. The mites the millipedes carry naturally come off with ease but these harmful mites stick like crazy glue( I assume they have their mouthes latched on our preciouses) I would try to get the preaditory mites ASAP they only cost about 20 dollars and can be used to treat several tanks. I usually use about two tablespoons of mite full medium per tank 2 times a year. This is just to make sure nothing gets out of control again.
If you let it go too far that's it, their done for.:(

Last edited:

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob
My daughters snake died last month of mites. We treated it too late.
Bob,
Sorry to hear about the snake.A couple of years ago I had a nightmare infestation of snake mites.Tried different remedies,pest strips etc with only limited success.I was at desperation point,when a snake breeder here in UK gave me the answer. It is Ivomectin.This is a cattle and horse wormer which is absolutely lethal to mites.It's only available from a vetinary.You make up a spray of 20 ml to a pint of water and spray the snake from head to tail,paying particular attention to eyes &vent.After thouroughly cleaning cage and burning all substrate,spray cage and all fittings. This is 100% effective and the only "cure" I've found that works completely.Kills the eggs as well as all stages of the mites.
George;)