The Mystery of Eurypeima spnicurus...

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
I've been looking around the internet for spider related stuff for reasons i wont explain when i saw a taxidermy of this species mentioned above. I googled it and I only saw MORE taxidermy's. ( i even own a taxidermy of it...) Does anyone know where this species came from and other useful information?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I've been looking around the internet for spider related stuff for reasons i wont explain when i saw a taxidermy of this species mentioned above. I googled it and I only saw MORE taxidermy's. ( i even own a taxidermy of it...) Does anyone know where this species came from and other useful information?
I'm not home to see mine but that scientific name seems like the same one on mine.

My youngest brother bought it for me as a gift. The taxidermy of it was done nicely.

I did some digging around on world spider catalogue and found nothing. After some time searching I instead searched on the company/person who is selling them. If I remember right, (probably not) the person is from Asia. I believe it is an OW.

I also sent a message to the seller asking for the correct scientific name and I believed they made it up to cover what genus/species they were actually taxiderming to sell. I never received a reply.

UPDATE: Found a photo of mine on my phone that I took. At first I thought it was fake but it is real, the tarantula not the name. 20221225_095451.jpg

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Search under "Eurypelma" - the name on the mat is misspelled.

And on, and on, and on...

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I did a lot of digging years ago and this is the basic gist of what I found. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! I'm definitely not the expert on this.

Eurypelma as a genus was created by Carl Ludwig Koch in 1850. He was describing an Aphonopelma species, A. californicum. Unfortunately, it's an invalid scientific name because Aphonopelma was already described and has priority. Here's where it becomes mostly speculation from bits and pieces of info, but it's the best I've got: Eurypelma at the time was used for a while by researchers and general laymen to dump any large, hairy, brown spider into and at one point and Eurypelma spinicrus was created and thrown in there (I don't know the actual species ID). Eventually the genus was invalidated and the described species were moved into different valid genera, leaving Eurypelma as an albatross around researchers necks. It existed long enough during an important period of exploration, research, and discovery (late 1800s- early 1900s) that it became relatively well known and published, but now areas where updated scientific research and information is lacking still use those old texts to identify and categorize things. So now when souvenir collectors (not researchers) go out and catch a ton of bugs to sell to tourists, the only "scientific name" they've known for a big hairy spider was that good old spinicrus, so they slap it on and sell it. They aren't expert taxonomists or usually even know what taxonomy really is.
It's why you see so many "Eurypelma spinicrus" specimens that are all totally different species of spider. The collectors don't really care about accuracy, and the people they're selling them to don't know any better. Most of the ones I see are from Vietnam or south east Asia, but I've seen ones from south America also labeled "Eurypelma spinicrus" as well.

Hell, I have one sitting on my wall right above me, in a shadow box with giant Asian scorpions and centipedes. It's what kicked off my interest in finding the origin too. I think it's a haplopelma species.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I did a lot of digging years ago and this is the basic gist of what I found. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me! I'm definitely not the expert on this.

Eurypelma as a genus was created by Carl Ludwig Koch in 1850. He was describing an Aphonopelma species, A. californicum. Unfortunately, it's an invalid scientific name because Aphonopelma was already described and has priority. Here's where it becomes mostly speculation from bits and pieces of info, but it's the best I've got: Eurypelma at the time was used for a while by researchers and general laymen to dump any large, hairy, brown spider into and at one point and Eurypelma spinicrus was created and thrown in there (I don't know the actual species ID). Eventually the genus was invalidated and the described species were moved into different valid genera, leaving Eurypelma as an albatross around researchers necks. It existed long enough during an important period of exploration, research, and discovery (late 1800s- early 1900s) that it became relatively well known and published, but now areas where updated scientific research and information is lacking still use those old texts to identify and categorize things. So now when souvenir collectors (not researchers) go out and catch a ton of bugs to sell to tourists, the only "scientific name" they've known for a big hairy spider was that good old spinicrus, so they slap it on and sell it. They aren't expert taxonomists or usually even know what taxonomy really is.
It's why you see so many "Eurypelma spinicrus" specimens that are all totally different species of spider. The collectors don't really care about accuracy, and the people they're selling them to don't know any better. Most of the ones I see are from Vietnam or south east Asia, but I've seen ones from south America also labeled "Eurypelma spinicrus" as well.

Hell, I have one sitting on my wall right above me, in a shadow box with giant Asian scorpions and centipedes. It's what kicked off my interest in finding the origin too. I think it's a haplopelma species.
Thank you for all that info. My searches never came up with anything. Hell I didn't find anything on AB but @NMTs found some older post.

That was very informative I appreciate all that. My curiosity has been killing me on knowing what it actually is. The moth ball they put in the case with it can overpower an entire room.