The magnificent O. aureotibialis.

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Picked up an Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sling today - the Thai Golden Fringe.

Was in an unfortunate 8oz deli cup with maaaaaybe a centimeter of substrate in which the fella crammed himself beneath the vial which remained in the cup. Rehoused to a 4x4x4 amac box I drilled for it with a moooore appropriate but not quite enough 3” substrate. I don’t expect it on the walls above ground, and will rehouse again relatively soon to allow for 3x DLS, 2x substrate.

The little guy was much bigger than I thought. At first was crimping it’s legs in so I thought it’d be an inch tops and prepped an enclosure accordingly, but as I got it into the vial/catch cup to transfer... it slowly and leisurely - like a dragon’s wings - stretched out of its legs to walk calmly into the vial. Gave me chills as it revealed a juuust over 2” DLS.

I was stunned. I’ve been “drooling” over this T since I learned about tarantulas and am ecstatic to have homed one.

Anywho: am I the only one who is more nervous for new worlds than old worlds? Being an old world, I have an almost deified respect for them. I feel calm. Focused. In the zone.

I find that with supreme care, risk can be eliminated apart from the off chance I’d fumble or sneeze while holding the catch cup.

Those urticating hairs tho? There seems always a chance they’ll waft gently into my eyeballs. I can control venom, I can’t control airborne hairs lol.

Anywho, I’m part sharing, part storytelling, and part wondering if anyone else keeps an O. aureotibialis with stories to tell of it?

Here’s the best pic I’ve got for now:
2D82F31A-3CD0-4C98-9283-6D569D0133B7.jpeg
F697D454-D7BE-4381-9370-A19441D33737.jpeg
1AE570B4-AD48-4F6D-8A69-3D1306C87639.jpeg

Last edited:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yeah, I once had an O. aureotibialis beat me up and steal my wallet. You’re in for a heck of a ride. If you’re a limp wristed man, that thing is going to tear you to shreds.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow ! You've moving along fast ! You have a B. boehmei, this and what else ? Despite that I've kept Ts for almost 12 years, I have 0 experience with Old Worlds. All I can say is use common sense and keep your fingers away. Enjoy your T while you can see it, I hear they're total "Pet Holes".

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Wow ! You've moving along fast ! You have a B. boehmei, this and what else ? Despite that I've kept Ts for almost 12 years, I have 0 experience with Old Worlds. All I can say is use common sense and keep your fingers away. Enjoy your T while you can see it, I hear they're total "Pet Holes".
The B. boehmei and G pulchripes were my beginner spiders for a week while I did mad reading / viewing, then picked up 4 yesterday but will discuss one at a time in the forums haha.
This O aureotibialis, T vegans - plus two arboreal one NW one OW - the Poe. regalis and Psa. irminia.

Nicer habitats than AMAC boxes are arriving on Monday for the regalis and suntiger so will prolly share them upon completion! These two arboreal and the golden fringe are the three that I've been dreaming about haha.
Thinking I'll start a blog, even if just to organize my thoughts on them and chronicle experiences : ).

This aureotibialis is indeed a pet hole - overnight it finally left the vial and chose one of the three starters in the corners to dig in about 1.5 inch deep (can still see it underground!).
IMG_2621.jpeg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Your research clearly shows in the enclosure setup and safe husbandry methods for a beginner OW keeper (leaving the vial inside instead of teasing it out). Nothing but respect from me.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Ornithoctoninae are either fossorial in ground or live basically fossorialy in hollow trees several meters above ground. I really don't like the current labels assigned to ts but oh well. Either way most like to dig and climb especially as slings so make sure there's room. These are one of the digging/burrowing species so more sub than height but just remember they're not completely fossorial by it's definition (almost never leaving their underground dwelling).

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
True true. I'll be planning big for the subadult / adult enclosures when it comes time - with even more resemblance to the forested natural environment for this aureotibialis. While yes this one is an obligate burrower / fossorial, It'd be great fun to not completely neglect the above ground even though it may or may not be utilized. I'll continue doing reading, looking further into the ecology and biology of the creature - which soil creatures can synergize with it, which plants don't need more moisture than is healthy for the spider, etc...

Also, I've had a cricket wandering in his enclosure for the last 15 minutes and am rather sad that while I was typing it was caught!! I missed my first hunt lol, I'll set up a tripod to record the next. It is backing into its burrow with the newfound meal, where I can enjoy observing exactly what happens next : ). Seems the first step is to patch the few silk strands he broke to catch the critter, or is reinforcing the entrance knowing he may not need to exit for some days now.

What a delight.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Great looking setup and nice choice of tarantula. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as time goes on.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You indeed were prepared. Leaving the vial in the enclosure and letting the T walk out on its own is the smartest thing to do. I'm looking forward to hearing about the 3 others and how the initial transfers went. Nice job ! :D

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
The regal aureotibialis youngster has hit bottom after 36 or so hrs methodically sculpting its burrow. I adore how it will, one tiny pinch of dirt at a time, carry it to the top of the burrow and suspend it up there with a minimal yet perfect amount of silk. It’ll push it with a heave into the side of the mound from within, silk over it and go back down for more.

Hooray for super clear enclosures, not a pet hole at all! Will update a pic of the crafted burrow soon.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Both of mine have disappeared into their burrows the last few days. Normally they are at the mouth of their tunnels every night. Them being both sack mates fingers crossed they are molting.

Last edited:

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
20210302_174357.jpg Never had any defensive issues with this guy. Not quite juvenile. Pretty chill. Don't get me wrong, I use the utmost care any time I'm inside. This guy is fast and powerful for his size.

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Both of mine have disappeared into their burrows the few couple days. Normally they are at the mouth of their tunnels every night. Them being both sack mates fingers crossed they are molting.
Mm yeh it’ll always be fun to see a “different” T emerge than the one who went in.

I am really digging the burrow against the enclosure wall. This evening it was just outright chilling, in its burrow just a little deeper than it would be if AT the entrance thinking about food. Was vertically resting against its back cleaning off its legs/fangs/toes.
Quite hilarious.

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Niiice how big? If possible to know haha. Mine doesn’t have those namesake golden shins just yet : ).
It might be a bit more than 1.5". I have another that shows it streching out to grab a cricket. I'll have to look and see if I can get a better guesstimate. It is a beautiful spider. I'm eagerly awaiting it's adult color. Its even more brilliant

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a gorgeous T, not one I would feel comfortable owning. I'll stick to my NW Pet Rocks ;)