The 20 coolest flies

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My new two-page article:

http://www.bogleech.com/bio-flies.html
http://www.bogleech.com/bio-flies2.html

I run down what I feel to be the most interesting Diptera on Earth. Several were completely new to me while researching for the article (and bumped down what I'd originally planned to include) so I'm sure there are still weirder out there that slipped my knowledge.

Quick preview:

This isn't a maggot, but an adult fly that imitates an ant larva.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very well-written article! I was quite unaware of many of the species who made that list.

I kinda wish I still was...:}

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Neat article, I went ahead and poked around a bit more and must make a nerdy correction.

In your pokemonology article(entertaining...far too many of them have been made since I remember!) you claim Whooper and its evolved form to be Axolotls. I am going to bet they were based off of Andrias which would make a lot more sense in Japan(also since the adult form appears to lack large gills).

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Excellent article, just one thing caught my attention.
You said only 4 species of insect are found in seawater, all of them flies.
There're also a few species of water strider in the genus Halobates that are completely marine.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:clap: Beautiful article!

And hardcore props :)worship::worship:) on the "C-List Ghosts of The Real Ghostbusters" page. That was (and still is) my favorite cartoon when I was a kid!

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was defining "in seawater" as actually living underwater at some point, I probably should have used "within," or at least passingly mentioned the striders.

And yeah, there's no real reason Wooper would be an axolotl in particular...I'm also pretty sure now that Shuckle is just a weird interpretation of a barnacle (it's even catchable in seawater at least once).

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And yeah, there's no real reason Wooper would be an axolotl in particular...I'm also pretty sure now that Shuckle is just a weird interpretation of a barnacle (it's even catchable in seawater at least once).
I think a continuation/addition to the Pokemon article is vital to the progress of mankind. lol