Terrarium pictures

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by danread
Lelle,

how do you make those terrariums? I'm really impressed with those, i was looking at buying an all glass terrarium with a sliding front for my lizards, but it would be much cheaper to make one myself. next time you make one, could you post pictures of the building process? Thanks.

Dan.
I just write down the measurements for the glass pieces, go to the local glazier and have them cut it up for me.
Then grind the sharp edges off, and clean them and finally clue em together with aquarium silicon. Sure if I remember i can take some pictures next time.

/Lelle

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Lelle,

It sounds relatively simple, so i'll definitely give it a go. What thickness glass did you use? Thanks.

Dan.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey brachymad,

that's a nice setup, did you make the whole thing, or did you convert the cabinet into the terrariums? I've been thinking of doing something along the same lines. At IKEA you can buy fairly cheap book cases made of melamine fronted board, which i would have thogh are fairly moisture resistant. All it would need is glass sliding doors attached to the front of the shelves and it would make a smart stack of 5 vivs for a very low cost.

Dan.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by danread
Thanks Lelle,

It sounds relatively simple, so i'll definitely give it a go. What thickness glass did you use? Thanks.

Dan.
I use 4mm glass. Aluminium list for the sliding front glass, alumimium mesh for ventilation. If you never been using silicon on glass before, make sure you clean the glass with acetone or similar to remove grease and other dirt.
After you built it, put strings of silicon inside the terrariums edges and esp. the corners, wet your indexfinger and smooth it out.
Good luck!

/Lelle

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kaos - I really like your "pet-store" like setup in the first photo. It looks really professional.

Making your own glass tanks with sliding doors is really easy, and cheap.
I cut the glass my self with a simple glass cutter and smooth the edges. I bought 4 meters of sliding lists for 5$ and I can take ventilation grid home from work :)

Like Lelle said it can be a bit messy with the silicone at first but the smears come of quite easy with aceton or a razor (a sharp razor won't scratch the glass)

Perhaps I should make a guide on how I made mine? ;)

My first attempt to cut glass was a horrid experience. I accidentally took a 60x120cm big tempered glass board. When i cut it and tried to break it in half the whole thing "exploded" into a million pieces that flew all over the room. Also cut my hand pretty bad. So stay out of tempered glass =D

/David

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Betty
Wow - there are some really impressive terrariums here!
Betty, you are right!

But I must admit that your terrariums are awesome, too!!! :)
I always took a look at them when you posted pics of your T's. They are just gorgeous!!!

Is it possible for you to take some closer pics of your terrariums and post them here?
I would like to see them in all their glory! :D

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dan
I already had the cabinet with the shelves in I made the tanks by getting the glass cut ,polished the edges and put together with aquarium sealant. I made wooden lids lined on the inside with clear perspex to stop the wood absorbing the moisture. Its all heated from behind using a wooden box lined with polystyrine on the back and sides with a 25w pigmy light bulbs positioned behind each shelf all conected to a thermostat nice thing is if i want more heat for 1 tank its just a matter of putting a higher wattage bulb in that tanks position .

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Larsen,

thats a suberb setup. Did you make it yourself? If you did, can you tell me how you did it? Thanks,

Dan.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks nice yes, but what about free-fall height everyone keeps going on about? It can be rare that terrestrials climb, but since they seem about as agile and sure-footed as three-legged giraffes when they do, they just might hurt themselves.