Tegenaria sp

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Two pictures of one of my two Tegenaria sp. females. This one I've caught later, in the same shed as the first one. They had huge webs over there with multiple eggsacs. This lady made an eggsac in her enclosure and web completely everything! And oh they eat like pigs! I first fed them small crickets but today I bought the largest crickets availible and they immediatly got them from the tong. One thing that bugs me a bit is that their abdomen gets pretty thin after just 3 days already. But maybe that gets better now they eat a lot larger crickets. I'm still figuring out how often I should feed them. They are amazing spiders with beautiful webs and they are pretty active when it's dark. :happy:

Tegenaria sp2 by rolf.oldenburg, on Flickr

Tegenaria sp by rolf.oldenburg, on Flickr

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I want one of these so badly. I get much smaller species of Tegenaria, unfortunately.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
There are plenty of Tegenaria near my house, just look for the webs, get a paintbrush and make some vibrations and they come rushing in. They have an amazing feeding response. I guess I'm quite lucky. :happy:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
There are plenty of Tegenaria near my house, just look for the webs, get a paintbrush and make some vibrations and they come rushing in. They have an amazing feeding response. I guess I'm quite lucky. :happy:
Yup I got tons of them here in the PNW too. I use string to lure them out with a cup to trap.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've always kept at least one of various Tegenaria since I was a kid, up until now. They are my favorite kind of spider. They're everywhere up here, so I only really keep the ones I find to have wandered indoors.

I agree they are great eaters, webbers, and as a bonus they are relatively long lived. Currently I have a sub adult female I found last fall. She survived the winter outside, and is now still going strong.

As for feeding, I feed them roughly every three weeks to a month. I do give them water every so often to keep their abdomens from shrinking; they will not function properly without adequate hydration. Feed them too often and they'll burn out on you very fast.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Yup hydration is very important for the larger species in this genus. When you look at where they have invaded in NA, it is only spots with heavy rainfall. They occupy the PNW and Canada. Hobo spiders have done some decent expansion and proved to be pretty hardy though; Not as hardy as barn weavers, but still not bad, and hobo females can get to a pretty impressive size.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
There is water present for both of them, but haven't even seen them come close to it. (They did web it though... they will web every single inch of the enclure...) Spraying the web every week should be a good way to keep them hydrated? Thank you about the feeding part, I didn't know that. :eek:

Strange is, where I find these two there was no water at all, it was a dry shed where water is not able to get in.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
There is water present for both of them, but haven't even seen them come close to it. (They did web it though... they will web every single inch of the enclure...) Spraying the web every week should be a good way to keep them hydrated? Thank you about the feeding part, I didn't know that. :eek:

Strange is, where I find these two there was no water at all, it was a dry shed where water is not able to get in.
I let them build web first then place bottlecap somewhere. She was just ripped from the home she likely spent her whole life in, and thrown into a box. A drink of water isn't on the top of her priority list. Also, they are nocturnal.

Most spiders can go long extended periods of time without water, it's just not optimal with some species however. It's important to understand what an opportunistic animal does. They eat whenever they can (sometimes more then what is good for them) while having to be capable of going long periods of time without food/water.

This living style unfortunately takes a toll on the spider. You can not provide it water, just feed it whatever whenever, but understand they already have a short time on this planet, and if you like this gal, plan to keep her around awhile; it's best if you feed her sparingly (once every 2 weeks) a meal about 1/4 her size, and make sure she has lots of water.

Last edited:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I did not say it was not important for the smaller species, simply that it is very important for captivity on a larger spider. In hindsight I should have said captivity, but this is a hobby board and a post about keeping one as a pet. Natural assumption that people want them to live 3 years instead of 2.

It's not as impactful on smaller spiders as they have a tendency to be shorter lived and and require less substance. Difference of a year on a large 3 year living spider. Difference of 1-2 months on small seasonal spider (I am aware of exceptions, I'm speaking generally as you won't often see the exceptions). I would say it is important with all spiders if you are feeding them correctly. There bodies are full of a fluid that they pump to move. No muscle fiber like us. There a natural hydro pump. Hydro pumps need hydration to run is as simple as I can put it. Desiccation is never a good thing for any animal.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I did not say it was not important for the smaller species, simply that it is very important for captivity on a larger spider.
No need to be defensive... it just looks like you're saying smaller spiders don't need water. That's the way I read it, anyway.

Not here to make anyone defensive. Just a clarification, that's all. Thanks.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Some times text does not translate well. Was not defensive sorry if I came off that way unintentionally.