Tarantulas that can jump

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Unbeknownst to most, there are several genera that can and will jump, most seem to fall under the radar though. Everyone knows avics and the formers can jump, but how many know of all the rest?

There are many arboreals that can leap a couple feet easy, and they tend to do this as a last resort escape method.
Just something to keep in mind when working with them. Odds are they wont do it, but you should know what to expect just in case.

From what I have seen, they sort of flutter their front legs before taking the leap...I had it happen when I was doing a rehouse recently. Was cool to witness but nerve wracking at the same time, it ran into the new enclosure then back out and leaped a good twenty inches, had its first taste of freedom until I swiftly ended it lol.

Just thought id share, its not very common thats for sure...first time I saw it in action in all these years. Had me thinking, theres no list of all the known jumpers.

Heres the list I came up with. Im sure I missed some, feel free to mention them.

Avicularia
Poecilotheria
Lampropelma
Omothymus
Psalmopoeus
Tapinauchenius

Most likely all of the other Ornithoctoninane as well. Just haven't seen it myself.

And if you have any, share your jumping tarantula stories in this thread. Lets make it a fun one.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Any animal that can accelerate with a sudden burst of speed can probably jump. Here a Lasiodora is jumping.

I've seen my Lasiodora Klugi jump straight up to pull things off of tongs, which is why I don't tong feed her anymore. Once something is in the cage, she won't rest until it's found regardless of the havoc inflicted upon the decor.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all honesty every arboreal can perform decent jumps. Once (first half of the 2000) a juvenile S.calceatum jumped and bolted on the wall in seconds, during a rehouse, and we (me and the owner) were pretty intimidated by that.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
In all honesty every arboreal can perform decent jumps. Once (first half of the 2000) a juvenile S.calceatum jumped and bolted on the wall in seconds, during a rehouse, and we (me and the owner) were pretty intimidated by that.
No kidding. ;) That must of made for a fun afternoon. Poecs are also known as "parachute spiders" in certain areas to the natives, which is interesting. Although they seldom leap in captivity.

I figured it makes sense for most arboreals to have the ability, its an effective means for an escape...especially when theres thick brush to help brake their fall, or another nearby tree to escape onto.

boina

Lady of the mites
Yep, I would be very intimidated by that, too :penguin:.

Anyway, I haven't ever seen any of my spiders really jump and I'm kind of disappointed. I really want to see that. Maybe I can set up a spider gym with jumping area :troll:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Jump a few feet easy? Which way? Do you mean fall? ;) I doubt it. Like maybe around their legspan, max.

I've had alot of arboreals jump after moths, they don't go too far. If they could really go a few feet, they'd easily clear the cage with the feeder on their fangs. They don't. They catch it, sure, but then fall to the bottom. I've seen this with Poecilotheria and Avicularia numerous times. I just can't see them going so far.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Jump a few feet easy? Which way? Do you mean fall? ;) I doubt it. Like maybe around their legspan, max.

I've had alot of arboreals jump after moths, they don't go too far. If they could really go a few feet, they'd easily clear the cage with the feeder on their fangs. They don't. They catch it, sure, but then fall to the bottom. I've seen this with Poecilotheria and Avicularia numerous times. I just can't see them going so far.
A couple feet as in twenty inches or so. Im not talking about a feeding response, its a flight response. Don't believe me? :rolleyes: See for yourself in the first five seconds of this vid.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
A couple feet as in twenty inches or so. Im not talking about a feeding response, its a flight response. Don't believe me? :rolleyes: See for yourself in the first five seconds of this vid.
I see more of a fall then a straight jump.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Any animal that can accelerate with a sudden burst of speed can probably jump. Here a Lasiodora is jumping.

I've seen my Lasiodora Klugi jump straight up to pull things off of tongs, which is why I don't tong feed her anymore. Once something is in the cage, she won't rest until it's found regardless of the havoc inflicted upon the decor.
I can validate this claim. I watched a sub-adult female LP overcome gravity and hit a cricket walking along the ceiling of her hide.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
The only juping ecxitement i have witnessed was a C. vericolor sling (1.5" approx. dls) Jumped probably 8-10 inches. I had just removed the lid from its peanut butter jar enclosure and was in process of setting it down and it decided it liked the lid better than the jar... My girlfriend will no longer be in the room with his enclosure open. :dead:

I thought it was cool.

killerqueen1010

Arachnopeon
I know this is a dead thread, but be that as it may I have some recent video proof of my Avicularia juruensis sling (about ¾ in) jumping from one of my hands to the other. They seemed to display similar behavior to that of a jumping spider before it took off: actively leaping forward rather than just kind of falling. I also noticed it bracing for its jump and pausing before jump as if to calculate the jump out. I find this odd and fascinating because it is well known that tarantulas, even arboreal ones, do not have great eyesight. Are these all leaps of faith, or do they have some other sense (setae??) that guid es them somehow? I think this would be an interesting research topic for sure.

rusted180

Arachnosquire
Ephebopus (blue fang) jumped when i rehoused the sling... not sure if they still jump when thwy grow out of their sling/juvenile stage.