tarantula's substrate

zaidyn

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm very new to Tarantula's, and I was just wondering where I can buy top soil in Australia that is fine for my Tarantula's. Everything seems to have fertilizers and stuff in it, and I dont want to risk it. I'm currently using coco fiber as substrate, but I want to make my enclosures look natural with real dirt and live plants.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Live plants are often more trouble than they are worth

Can’t say where you would find it, garden stores, farms variety of places. In my locale I could never find it

Mustafa67

Arachnoknight
Hello, I'm very new to Tarantula's, and I was just wondering where I can buy top soil in Australia that is fine for my Tarantula's. Everything seems to have fertilizers and stuff in it, and I dont want to risk it. I'm currently using coco fiber as substrate, but I want to make my enclosures look natural with real dirt and live plants.
Don’t overcomplicate it. Just use coco fibre live plants with Ts is a bad idea

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
If you have reptisoil, or cocofiber, use that.

live plants will need fertilizer at some point. Its a whole other game. Some tarantulas even dig up the plants. I am professional horticulturist, plants can grow in coco fiber. Its been made to replace peat which is bad for environnement. However, we need to feed our plants. With compost and fertilizers. An seaweed based fertilizer will probably be best at that point, if in contact with live animals. Any fertilizer that is above 10-10-10 risks to have chemical fertilizers in it.

for my indoor plants, i just you worm compost and seaweed fertilizer.

if you are new to tarantulas, get comfortable and knowledgeable with your tarantula. As you get confident, the board is full of threads with members that have planted enclosures.

you could even try a planted enclosure with no spider to see how you do at it. If its a goal of yours, id do that. Youll be able to experiment with isopods and springtails. Learn how to gauge your moisture levels etc.

an arid species with humid loving plants, is going to be a master level challenge.

Tarantula comes first.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
i dont want to go crazy with plants more just live moss
Just consider that...
Moss has Water Retaining Properties.
It's also a good place for Prey to Hide Away.

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Just get a T and some fake plants. After you get good with T Husbandry and such, THEN start thinking about BioActivity. In most cases, what is good for the plants is bad for the T. I experimented with it, and found it wasn't worth it. Been keeping Ts for nearly 2 decades

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I tried a live plant it never grew Im probably removing it at some point.