Tarantula stuck in molt and molted right side up

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
Hello people.
I’m wondering if there’s any possible way anyone can give me some advice for my poor Curly hair tarantula.

He/she hasn’t shown obvious signs of moulting and when I checked last night he/she was in the back of their enclosure as per normal but it seems this morning I have found him/her half molted right side up. The abdomen seems so have come out and the top of the body (carapace) but I think he/she hasn’t managed to get the legs out at all or front of the face, he/ she has sort of lifted barely out of the old skin but not enough at all and one side hasn’t lifted at all either. I’ve read everything and watched everything to try and help my little fella, like using a cotton bud to dab the part where he is almost stuck, and nothing has happened. I cannot remove the skin myself as I don’t actually think he’s out enough for me to do it safely...honestly I’m not sure he will make it but I wanted to see if I had any other options. The humidity is up and water is fresh and full as always so not Sure what would have caused this as all previous molts have been fine. This is his 6th molt I think...he’s probably nearly 3 years old

Just to clarify. He did not flip over to molt and was in a very awkward position to even attempt an upright molt aswell...only
One side of the body has lifted barely out of the old skin and all legs are stuck and fangs inside the old skin but the andomen is out...and I did not know he was going to molt as he didn’t show any telltale signs of doing so and was fine last night when I sprayed the tank. I’ve had him since he was a sling and he’s always molted absolutely fine so I’m very upset about this 😟

Last edited by a moderator:

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Does it still appear stuck?
I honestly wish i could help with this,but i understand the stress as one of my slings is currently molting rightside-up after i poked the hell out of it not knowing it was actually molting.
However i can redirect you to a thread with good resources on this and keep my fingers crossed

On a side note,if your T pulls through: Don't spray the enclosure. Spraying does nothing but raise humidity (which isnt even necessary to chase after) for a short time. You need moisture,not humidity. Even then,T. Albopilosus is not a moisture dependent species and should be kept dryer with a water dish if it's not a sling anymore.

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
Does it still appear stuck?
I honestly wish i could help with this,but i understand the stress as one of my slings is currently molting rightside-up after i poked the hell out of it not knowing it was actually molting.
However i can redirect you to a thread with good resources on this and keep my fingers crossed

On a side note,if your T pulls through: Don't spray the enclosure. Spraying does nothing but raise humidity (which isnt even necessary to chase after) for a short time. You need moisture,not humidity. Even then,T. Albopilosus is not a moisture dependent species and should be kept dryer with a water dish if it's not a sling anymore.
Thank you so much. I feel better knowing I didn’t need to spray the tank! I have always been told the same by everyone too. I only spray it lightly too if it seems a bit dryer in there. Or when he hangs over the water bowl. I’ve been told today, do spray the tank to see if it helps with humidity...not sure it does. He is still very stuck. And hasn’t moved since this morning. The legs are still moving slightly when I’ve poked with a soft brush. But that’s it. I think he’s likely to not make it. He’s always just had the water bowl and I usually poor slightly over just around the bowls Subrate and he’s been fine? And had 5 other perfectly fine molts with me. But someone said maybe it wasn’t humid enough and that’s what’s caused it? But I found him this morning with half his legs stick against his burrow (a plant pot) and the other side spread out which is the side that’s slightly lifted out. The admomen is out too but the front and legs is totally stuck inside. I’m not sure what else to do now other than wait and see 😔 such a sad situation to be in. He is my absolute favourite tarantula too😖

Also, I have read the thread you re directed me too! Thank you. I’ve exhausted all of these ideas. He is well and truly stuck and I cannot get him out whatsoever. I feel so helpless, he’s just put himself in a really awkward position when he’s gone to molt unfortunately. I’ve cried all day trying to find ways to help. He’s been like it since last night and has already hardened up quite a bit. I don’t think there’s anytbing more I can do xx

Also my Brazilian black molted right side up first time with me and was perfectly fine! She was amazing, and had no problems and molted fine and flipped herself this time last year, so don’t be too worried if they do do it. I just think my curly hair has unfortunately been in a difficult space and position to molt this time. 😟

vicareux

If the fangs aren't out,there's nothing you can do to help.
Humidity (or lack of) shouldn't be an issue,since it's irrelevant in the molting process. Things like this just happened sometimes. The other day my GF lost her P.Pulcher due to a bad molt for some reason,while the husbandry was absolutely fine. The carapace never popped. It's quite sad when they have a bad molt and you can't do anyting to help.
Fingers crossed though!

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
If the fangs aren't out,there's nothing you can do to help.
Humidity (or lack of) shouldn't be an issue,since it's irrelevant in the molting process. Things like this just happened sometimes. The other day my GF lost her P.Pulcher due to a bad molt for some reason,while the husbandry was absolutely fine. The carapace never popped. It's quite sad when they have a bad molt and you can't do anyting to help.
Fingers crossed though!
It’s heart breaking for me, I just love him as a species too. He’s always had really good molts with me aswell. I don’t understand why he molted so strangely this time. The fangs are not out, so I’m pretty sure that’s it now. Could I ask when I’ll know he’s definitely gone for sure as sometimes he’s moving the legs only slightly then not so I’m not sure when he’s going to definitely be gone😟

My Brazilian black girl molted right side up the first time she molted with me!!! Makes me paranoid about getting anymore now. But my Brazilian black was absolutely fine. She made it out in a matter of hours and was fully intact and has been fine since. I wonder if because my curly hair wasn’t spread out properly even the right way up whether that meant he couldn’t lift the other side of the body and legs out? And thank you for letting me know about humidity! I’ve been told all day it’s because it’s not humid enough. But he’s had the same husbandry since I’ve had him and been fine!!! Xx

vicareux

It’s heart breaking for me, I just love him as a species too. He’s always had really good molts with me aswell. I don’t understand why he molted so strangely this time. The fangs are not out, so I’m pretty sure that’s it now. Could I ask when I’ll know he’s definitely gone for sure as sometimes he’s moving the legs only slightly then not so I’m not sure when he’s going to definitely be gone😟
I honestly don't know what the time should be for this (also depends on the size),but when the spider hardens inside its old exoskeleton,it's chances of getting out are minimal.
Sorry,chances seem lower the more time passes.

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
I honestly don't know what the time should be for this (also depends on the size),but when the spider hardens inside its old exoskeleton,it's chances of getting out are minimal.
Sorry,chances seem lower the more time passes.
No it’s fine. I understand. I’ve tried all I can all day to help him out but I think that’s it now. His fangs are stuck and haven’t moved since this morn. Thank you. I also would love to know how this happens to tarantulas when they have previously molted fine before, then suddenly do it wrong the next time? Fascinating to know what makes them know how to do it xx

I’m not sure what else I should be doing for him now other than wait? I’ve tried cotton bud rubbing on the side where it’s stuck and hardening off. But it hasn’t worked. I can’t get him out of the old skin as he isn’t out enough as it is for me to try that without breaking all his legs off which I really would rather not do. I can see where he’s lifted is still slightly transparent inside but he won’t lift anymore out...so there’s nothing I can do?

I’m assuming it’s now up to him to see if he can pull himself out anymore? Like I said the abdomen is out but the fangs and legs are all inside. The fangs have lifted slightly but not out fully and I can see they are transparent where he’s lifted ever so slightly, but the other side of his body hasn’t lifted out at all x

vicareux

I’m assuming it’s now up to him to see if he can pull himself out anymore? Like I said the abdomen is out but the fangs and legs are all inside. The fangs have lifted slightly but not out fully and I can see they are transparent where he’s lifted ever so slightly, but the other side of his body hasn’t lifted out at all x
I wouldn't reccomend trying to help if the fangs aren't out. Fangs and sucking stomach areas are very delicate,and even if you do manage to get it out of the molt,somehow,by some miracle,without the sucking stomach molted out it's more or less doomed.

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't reccomend trying to help if the fangs aren't out. Fangs and sucking stomach areas are very delicate,and even if you do manage to get it out of the molt,somehow,by some miracle,without the sucking stomach molted out it's more or less doomed.
Thank you. I wasn’t going to attempt to help him out now. Better to leave and wait to see what he does now. You’ve been really helpful! Thank you so much. Is it common for these things to happen? Even after several good molts?

vicareux

Thank you. I wasn’t going to attempt to help him out now. Better to leave and wait to see what he does now. You’ve been really helpful! Thank you so much. Is it common for these things to happen? Even after several good molts?
Not common,it just happens sometimes. Don't let this discourage you though.

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
Not common,it just happens sometimes. Don't let this discourage you though.
Thank you so much! He wasn’t very old either which upsets me. I wanted to get another but I’m very very paranoid as my Brazilian black has done this too...worried it’s something I’m doing however she’s been fine ever since and I’ve had her 3 years now. Please tell me I was right and my local reptile shop was right in saying both of my species didn’t need spraying? Only a water dish slightly overflowed on the substrate around the bowl? As that’s what I’ve had since having them both and it’s been fine? I’m just worried maybe that’s the issue is they aren’t being sprayed? X

vicareux

Thank you so much! He wasn’t very old either which upsets me. I wanted to get another but I’m very very paranoid as my Brazilian black has done this too...worried it’s something I’m doing however she’s been fine ever since and I’ve had her 3 years now. Please tell me I was right and my local reptile shop was right in saying both of my species didn’t need spraying? Only a water dish slightly overflowed on the substrate around the bowl? As that’s what I’ve had since having them both and it’s been fine? I’m just worried maybe that’s the issue is they aren’t being sprayed? X
There's no issue if they molt rightside up. What happened to me during answering to your thread,i got a new sling today that seemed very weird and had weird movements. And i rehoused the damn sling,like an idiot while it was doing that,not realising it was trying to molt rightside-up. I kept bugging it trying to see what is wrong with it and trying to get a reaction from it. And just a few minutes ago,it molted out perfectly,after going through my poking and bugging. So they can survive hell,lol. This doesnt mean to go ahead and poke your molting tarantulas. Mine was just lucky.

No species needs spraying. Just having a water dish,and having it overflowed every now and then works absolutely fine for both of those species. However if they're slings,they like a little bit of extra moisture,which you drip directly into the substrate instead of spraying.

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
There's no issue if they molt rightside up. What happened to me during answering to your thread,i got a new sling today that seemed very weird and had weird movements. And i rehoused the damn sling,like an idiot while it was doing that,not realising it was trying to molt rightside-up. I kept bugging it trying to see what is wrong with it and trying to get a reaction from it. And just a few minutes ago,it molted out perfectly,after going through my poking and bugging. So they can survive hell,lol. This doesnt mean to go ahead and poke your molting tarantulas. Mine was just lucky.

No species needs spraying. Just having a water dish,and having it overflowed every now and then works absolutely fine for both of those species. However if they're slings,they like a little bit of extra moisture,which you drip directly into the substrate instead of spraying.
Thank you!!! Omg you’ve been amazing. Putting my mind at ease over it all. Yeah. It’s stressful. As a sling and up until now my curly boy has been absolutely fine and In really good condition, I guess he just didn’t get the memo today??🧐 and yeah! As I say my G. Pulchra molted right side up and came out fine lol. Like it wasn’t even an issue for her. I guess sometimes things just go wrong? I’m glad your sling is ok though. I have hated the stress of this all day. But I know I cannot physically do anymore for him now. X

I also don’t tend to touch my Ts at all, I like to watch and just look at them...i jsut love tarantulas but I’m worried about having another now to be honest after this. I guess I jsut need to realise that things can go wrong with them and it’s not always our fault. From everything I’ve read and done, it’s all be fine and the fact he’s molted several times in the same conditions must mean it’s been ok...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had Ts molt right side up- no issues here.

People that spray tarantulas like plants with a fine mist don't know what they are doing.

tillyturtle

Arachnopeon
I've had Ts molt right side up- no issues here.

People that spray tarantulas like plants with a fine mist don't know what they are doing.
Thank you. I’ve always said I don’t agree with spraying...I’ve always been told not to and only to when they hang over the bowl but even then not to spray the Tarantula itself but around the substrate.
Update on curly (that’s his name) he popped the bottom and fangs are now out. Only the legs are stuck so me and my mum are going to try and release them as she managed to get the fangs out and he is in pretty much perfect condition. She managed to get the fangs out with a warm damp cotton bud and it worked a dream!!

My Brazilian black molted right side up and was fine. But my curly hair seems to really be struggling. I’m hoping with some help and prompting, he can get the legs out as rest of him is now all out.