Tarantula lost fangs

Jaro225

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone.
A I'm student of veterinary medicine, interested in reptiles, spiders, scorpions and so on. Few days earlier I recive one Poecilotheria rufilata from guy on clinic of exotic pets. He said he ended with spiders and want to get her somewhere. So I as a spider lover take her to my place. She was really thin. Her abdomen was significantly smaller than carapax. So I decided to feed her. After some unsuccesfull feeding I decided to inspect her closely. The problem is that for unknown reason she lost both fangs. The most likely it was bad molt or early feeding, when her fangs wasn't hard enough. You can see it on uploaded photo. I want to ask if someone have some experience with this problem. I heard something about cricket soup. It is possible to feed the spider with this kind of food to the next molt and hoping that she will regrow them? And of course how exactly make the "soup", so she will be interested in it and will eat it. Thank you for all advices and comment.

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
It is possible to sustain them on feeder soup until the next molt. With crickets, I believe people just crush them up really well, remove the larger pieces, and mix what's left with water for the tarantula. This can also be done with more soft-bodied feeders such as hornworms, mealworms, waxworms, and superworms if you have access to them

boina

Lady of the mites
Crushing the cricket is usuall good enough. They only need access to the inner parts in some way.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm currently dealing with this exact situation with my Theraphosinae sp. Panama adult female.
I tried to make the soup without much success. I tried soft bodied prey, horn worms and the like, cut open without much success. I tried crickets cut open without much success. I tried mouse guts in a soup without success. I even tried to feed a cricket that had been partially broken down by another tarantula without success. It has been a really tough gig for months and I don't know if she is going to make it through another moult.
The only thing that I have managed to have success with is manually feeding my girl bug soup with a syringe. You can see my post, with photos, at this link: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/feeding-mouse-parts-to-a-fangless-tarantula.324249/. I've been trying to update it as I go along so that people can do a search and find it.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never dealt with this issue personally. Wish I could be more helpful, but it's possible this video from Mark's Tarantulas might be useful. Poor thing. I wish you both the very best luck.

cold blood

Staff member
I've successfully got several tarantulas through molts that were missing both fangs. It is a long process as the tarantula will not be able to eat as frequently and there for the molt cycle will be extended very often.

The best food that I found is to use a wax worm slice it down the length and score it in the opposite direction. I like this because there's nothing hard in a wax worm, I would think hornworms would be just as good. Just be patient it will take time. Best of luck.

NolanRobertsIntrovert

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone.
A I'm student of veterinary medicine, interested in reptiles, spiders, scorpions and so on. Few days earlier I recive one Poecilotheria rufilata from guy on clinic of exotic pets. He said he ended with spiders and want to get her somewhere. So I as a spider lover take her to my place. She was really thin. Her abdomen was significantly smaller than carapax. So I decided to feed her. After some unsuccesfull feeding I decided to inspect her closely. The problem is that for unknown reason she lost both fangs. The most likely it was bad molt or early feeding, when her fangs wasn't hard enough. You can see it on uploaded photo. I want to ask if someone have some experience with this problem. I heard something about cricket soup. It is possible to feed the spider with this kind of food to the next molt and hoping that she will regrow them? And of course how exactly make the "soup", so she will be interested in it and will eat it. Thank you for all advices and comment.
I wouldn’t want a defanged tarantula either, my mom would kill me if I used her blender to blend mealworms

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
A few years ago, I saw this case where 2 tarantulas lost one of their chelicerae, but they lost all of it from the basis. They were able to eat and molt but they never recovered them.

Since then, I've never seen a similar case again so here are my doubts:
Are there other cases and these 2 were exceptions?
In case a T lost both chelicerae, they will be to survive if we feed them with a syringe?

Susej

Arachnopeon
I've successfully got several tarantulas through molts that were missing both fangs. It is a long process as the tarantula will not be able to eat as frequently and there for the molt cycle will be extended very often.

The best food that I found is to use a wax worm slice it down the length and score it in the opposite direction. I like this because there's nothing hard in a wax worm, I would think hornworms would be just as good. Just be patient it will take time. Best of luck.
Hi! Did you hand feed it too? Or how you did it?