Tarantula dead or laying on its side?

bluewidowprincess

Arachnopeon
I have had many tarantulas for over a decade but have yet to experience this. I am a bit alarmed and not sure what to do. They were totally fine when I went to sleep and woke up to see them like this? Thought maybe she is molting weird? I have never seen a tarantula die like that and not in a death curl. No sign of movement for over an hour, I left to run to the store and came back a half hour later and now they are back on all 8 legs?? But but the legs on the side they were laying on all look funny. I’m not sure what is going on and am a bit worried. I would love some ideas or opinions. Thank you! 9BC8564B-676D-4AB7-8E37-902BFEEF4F17.jpeg

Update: the legs on one side all went a little crazy for a few seconds moving them fast and all together. Not sure if they are trying to flip themselves back over or what is going on. Could they be stuck in a molt? I don’t know how to describe it other then it looks like my spider has and is having a seizure.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve had a few tarantulas molt in very odd positions like that. Had one that molted in its side like that with a few of its legs tucked under it like its abdomen was laying on them. The first time I saw something like this I was alarmed because a few hours before it was acting normal and checked to make sure it was alive and gently touched a leg with a brush and it moved. So I knew it was molting just on it’s side.

more info is needed, has it been eating or showing signs of premolt up to this point?

bluewidowprincess

Arachnopeon
I’ve had a few tarantulas molt in very odd positions like that. Had one that molted in its side like that with a few of its legs tucked under it like its abdomen was laying on them. The first time I saw something like this I was alarmed because a few hours before it was acting normal and checked to make sure it was alive and gently touched a leg with a brush and it moved. So I knew it was molting just on it’s side.

more info is needed, has it been eating or showing signs of premolt up to this point?
Thank you so much for the reply. I don’t know if you saw my little update but it appeared they had rolled back over a bit but then I caught all her legs on the right side go totally nuts for a few seconds. Not sure if they are trying to flip back over or what is going on here. There last meal was a large Dubia about a monthish who and has been refusing food since and acting very strange when I even put the food in or even tried. Has def had some weird behavior the past few weeks.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much for the reply. I don’t know if you saw my little update but it appeared they had rolled back over a bit but then I caught all her legs on the right side go totally nuts for a few seconds. Not sure if they are trying to flip back over or what is going on here. There last meal was a large Dubia about a monthish who and has been refusing food since and acting very strange when I even put the food in or even tried. Has def had some weird behavior the past few weeks.
Okay well the food refusal for a monthish makes me lean more towards molting behavior. But I’m not sure what you mean by weird and strange behavior up to this point. I can’t tell but does it have a water dish in its enclosure.

bluewidowprincess

Arachnopeon
Okay well the food refusal for a monthish makes me lean more towards molting behavior. But I’m not sure what you mean by weird and strange behavior up to this point. I can’t tell but does it have a water dish in its enclosure.
Yeah that is what I am hoping for sure. And of course it always has water and hide and good care! I have had it around 4 years so I a bit of why I am so panicked!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah that is what I am hoping for sure. And of course it always has water and hide and good care! I have had it around 4 years so I a bit of why I am so panicked!
Just continue to monitor it, sometimes they can lay preparing for a molt for a longer time than you would expect.

also I just had a Caribena versicolor sling molt yesterday that looked like it was dead hanging off the side of webbing on the side of the enclosure, but it was just molting.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Looks like it's trying to molt, albeit in a weird position, to me. I would leave it alone for a few hours then check on it.

bluewidowprincess

Arachnopeon
Looks like it's trying to molt, albeit in a weird position, to me. I would leave it alone for a few hours then check on it.
At what point should I do anything? Should I flip it on its back to help or will that make things worse! I am worried they are stuck in it

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
At what point should I do anything? Should I flip it on its back to help or will that make things worse! I am worried they are stuck in it
Leave it be for now. if it doesn’t flip back over it will still molt in its side or molt upright.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
In my opinion (that's all any of us really have) anything you do to help it, is at least as likely to cause harm as to cause good. I would leave it alone for at least 2-3 hours and see what it's doing then.
Is there a water dish in its enclosure?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
You keep saying “they” do you have multiple spiders exhibiting this behavior or just the one?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seen this quite a few times over time, IME always related to a T that is going to molt at some point.

bluewidowprincess

Arachnopeon
Yesterday my T spent the whole day on its side. I left to go to the store and it had molted when I got back.

I hope your T is fine @bluewidowprincess please keep us updated.
He ended up flipping back to normal and then proceeded to molt upright! Totally was crazy!! I will attach pics one second!

@bluewidowprincess any update did it molt?
He ended up flipping back to normal and then proceeded to molt upright! Totally was crazy!! I will attach pics one second!

035252F0-790A-4BCD-A5B5-0A3829587C60.jpeg Thank you all so much for the replies! Was totally crazy to see him molt in the up right position! Terrifying! I am super glad it all worked out okay! Besides the fact they are now very much a confirmed male lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Magicis3

Arachnosquire
View attachment 353302 Thank you all so much for the replies! Was totally crazy to see him molt in the up right position! Terrifying! I am super glad it all worked out okay! Besides the fact they are now very much a confirmed male lol
The freshly molted B.harmoi looks stunning i should get 1 or 2 soon. Congrats i also had my Neoholothele incei het gold molting on its side

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You keep saying “they” do you have multiple spiders exhibiting this behavior or just the one?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +

View attachment 353302 Thank you all so much for the replies! Was totally crazy to see him molt in the up right position! Terrifying! I am super glad it all worked out okay! Besides the fact they are now very much a confirmed male lol
Glad to see it has molted successfully!! Looks at those bright legs!!