Tailless Whip Scorpion Molting?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If from the same "brood" of hatchlings, is it common for them to molt on the same day? I had 3 do it within a few hours of each other. Have other people noticed this?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would imagine if they are all being kept in similar conditions and being fed the same that they would be likely to molt very close to one another. Within 3 hours is very interesting. I assume they are past 3rd instar?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Forgive my ignorance I know the term instar but I am not sure how in this species to tell which instar this is. I assume I got them at one molt and I have seen most of them molt twice or so...would that be 3?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe the first molt after the egg stage is the first instar, then every molt after is 2 3 etc etc. Though I may be talking out of my arsch ;)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
An instar is a developmental stage of arthropods, such as insects, between each moult (ecdysis), until sexual maturity is reached. Arthropods must shed the exoskeleton in order to grow or assume a new form. Differences between instars can often be seen in altered body proportions, colors, patterns, or changes in the number of body segments. Some arthropods can continue to molt after sexual maturity, but these subsequent molts are generally not called instars.

For most insect species the term "instar" is used to denote the developmental stage of the larval or nymphal forms of holometabolous (complete metamorphism) or hemimetabolous (incomplete metamorphism) insects, but the term can be used to describe any developmental stage including pupa or imago (the adult, which does not molt in insects).

Two instars of a caterpillar of Papilio polytesThe number of instars an insect undergoes depends on the species and the environmental conditions. Cooler temperatures and lower humidity often slow the rate of development.

from wikipedia, and since eggs with leggs dont molt but develop into first instars then their official molt comes after?