T. Seledonia rehouse poses interesting theory.

FormaPhobbie

Arachnopeon
Sorry very new to posting on this sort of forum!

anyway disclaimer out the way… onto the post.

We (hubby and I) rehoused my T Sele today and it seems to have gone well. This seems to be down to the fact that we made sure we transferred the trap door webbing with the spider. She (we hope she is a she), is now happily ensconced in her ‘old’ trap door which seems to have already been enhanced. I say already because she has only been in the new enclosure for about 6hrs.

We did this because on her previous rehousing we did not move her trap door over initially and she spent her time wandering around the enclose and not really settling down over several days. So we switched to a smaller enclosure but more critically added her old webbing/trap door. She went straight for it pretty much. I guess this suggests that she could recognise her old 'home' (pheromones?) and this made her feel safe.

i am guessing the same is true this time as well, although I am impressed she has already adapted and increased the size of the trapdoor. My husband said when he had checked her earlier she was feeling/chewing the cork bark near the web, so I guess she was already at work even then (literally under an hr after being rehomed)

i wonder if in the wild they wouldn’t typically make a new web trapdoor all that often and would mainly adapt it. It must take a fair amount of physical resources to produce a whole new trapdoor? This is speculation obviously so it would be interesting to know what people think.

As I said, I am new to this, so it might be standard practice/obvious, to transfer trap doors where possible, but I would like to know if other keepers have done the same, or if this is useful or interesting.

thank you

Nicky

p.s. I can post pictures of what we did, but simply put it involved the old bit of cork bark and a hot glue gun.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Depends on the size of original home and material it’s made of if they adapt old or not

FormaPhobbie

Arachnopeon
Thank you. Yes, this was a move from a small but not tiny sling enclosure to standard sized. So I was easily able to utilise the old home. Seems 'happy' tho so I am satisfied. We have just avoided the 'what on earth did you do to my house' wandering phase of the rehouse.

we think she is a juvie now (she is about 1inch).

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Thank you. Yes, this was a move from a small but not tiny sling enclosure to standard sized. So I was easily able to utilise the old home. Seems 'happy' tho so I am satisfied. We have just avoided the 'what on earth did you do to my house' wandering phase of the rehouse.

we think she is a juvie now (she is about 1inch).
I’ve not had T Sele before but
Back when I had a chilobrachys I rehoused it and it never really webbed again wish I had thought of your idea of adding old webbing. Sadly I lost her to a bad molt..🥲

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't own T seladonia but I know for best results 🤣 you are supposed to transfer their trap with them. I think many sellers include them and usually advise as such. I would imagine they would anyway, to set the T up for success/prevent a failure to thrive situation.

FormaPhobbie

Arachnopeon
I’ve not had T Sele before but
Back when I had a chilobrachys I rehoused it and it never really webbed again wish I had thought of your idea of adding old webbing. Sadly I lost her to a bad molt..🥲
i hate it when they have bad molts because there is so little you can do.

i was genuinely scared of spiders, but then my husband had the master plan. Make them pets. Now I fret over them almost as much as our dogs! :D

FormaPhobbie

Arachnopeon
I don't own T seladonia but I know for best results 🤣 you are supposed to transfer their trap with them. I think many sellers include them and usually advise as such. I would imagine they would anyway, to set the T up for success/prevent a failure to thrive situation.
I agree. I think that should be the ideal situation. Not that it’s always possible. This one was a tiny sling when we got it and didn’t have anything more than tissue! But soon made a trap door. I think them doing that is usually a good sign. We had one before that didn’t make a trapdoor (the seller had made a little hole for it to start one), but it always behaved a little oddly and sadly died following a molt (when it was still teeny). Like I say, the current one made a trap for itself really quickly.

it has been very active today gnawing at the cork bark and improving its living accommodation, so I take that as a pedipalps up from the spider.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Hopefully the seller knows to include them and isn't just trying to sling expensive...slings 🤣

FormaPhobbie

Arachnopeon
Hopefully the seller knows to include them and isn't just trying to sling expensive...slings 🤣
For sure the first person did. Slings just die sometimes. But yeah the 2nd one came without and no advice. Fortunately, we had read up a bit more.
Anyways. Here she is today. Can you spot her.

I appreciate it looks somewhat bare. But on the other side of the cork bark is a supply of lichen! There is a water bowl on the ground (might move it up since the previous one-a small shell!- was higher up).

Attachments

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
I just rehoused my GBB. It was hidden in its web and I was dreading the act of getting it out, making it feel exposed and having it start the webbing process over in the new enclosure.
Then I remembered what Tom Moran did as well as our very own liquifin did in his obt rehouse vid, just move them with the web! While it might not look the best, that doesn't really matter.
Good job making your T feel safe in a new enclosure! I'm sure she (🤞) is appreciative.

FormaPhobbie

Arachnopeon
I just rehoused my GBB. It was hidden in its web and I was dreading the act of getting it out, making it feel exposed and having it start the webbing process over in the new enclosure.
Then I remembered what Tom Moran did as well as our very own liquifin did in his obt rehouse vid, just move them with the web! While it might not look the best, that doesn't really matter.
Good job making your T feel safe in a new enclosure! I'm sure she (🤞) is appreciative.
Sounds good. Probably looked weird as you say (all collapsed) but the spider probably felt safer.

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
One interesting observation. The advice I’ve seen has always been to break up lichen and put wood shavings in the enclosure for them to make their trap doors with.

We‘ve seen ours (okay, my wife’s) scraping bark and lichen from cork bark itself. There’s definitely a bare patch now where we watch it collecting.

Wayne