Substitute suggestions for ingredients in vivarium substrate

TheDarkAbyss

Arachnopeon
Greetings.

I was planning to make the standard NEHERP vivarium substrate using the recipe listed in the NEHERP website for some of my future tarantula enclosures but I realized the main ingredient may not be a good choice for tarantulas, and that is Fern Tree Fibers. They are quite hard and the tips can be considered quite sharp. I would have gone to the other option which is cypress mulch, but I also realize that can also be quite sharp, even sharper than fern tree fibers. From what I recall, this is a crucial ingredient for a good vivarium substrate as it allows a lot less compaction in the soil for the plants to grow much better.

I was wondering, if anyone here if they have any suggestions for substitutes that would work well, as well as be quite tarantula friendly?

cold blood

Staff member
Plain top soil, coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix and peat moss are all acceptable to use and can be combined in any manner.....but frankly, none really need to be mixed...i never understood mixing subs or using additives in my 20+ years keeping ts...sub is a personal choice of the keeper....literally any t can be kept on any of the acceptable substrates.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Plain top soil, coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix and peat moss are all acceptable to use and can be combined in any manner.....but frankly, none really need to be mixed...i never understood mixing subs or usung additives in my 20+ years keeping ts...sub is a personal choice of the keeper....literally any t can be kept on any of the acceptable substrates.
I agree with all of this, except a little vermiculite in with peat, coco, or top soil can help with moisture and drainage for the more moisture-loving species.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I use peat moss. I like to add a little vermiculite to it if I want it to absorb water a little more readily. Water tends to be repelled by dry packed peat and it can bead and roll into borrows when wetting smaller sling enclosures.

TheDarkAbyss

Arachnopeon
Plain top soil, coco fiber, eco earth, jungle mix and peat moss are all acceptable to use and can be combined in any manner.....but frankly, none really need to be mixed...i never understood mixing subs or using additives in my 20+ years keeping ts...sub is a personal choice of the keeper....literally any t can be kept on any of the acceptable substrates.
Note that I mentioned that this substrate is designed to keep plants happy as well, not just the tarantula.

I agree with all of this, except a little vermiculite in with peat, coco, or top soil can help with moisture and drainage for the more moisture-loving species.
If only vermiculite is cheap where I am from.

I use peat moss. I like to add a little vermiculite to it if I want it to absorb water a little more readily. Water tends to be repelled by dry packed peat and it can bead and roll into borrows when wetting smaller sling enclosures.
This is why I want to make NEHERP substrate as this never happens with it.

Let me reiterate that this is NOT JUST the tarantula, but for the plants that I am planning to put in there as well. And no, I will not entertain those who will say "Just don't" because you are not answering the question.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Let me reiterate that this is NOT JUST the tarantula, but for the plants that I am planning to put in there as well. And no, I will not entertain those who will say "Just don't" because you are not answering the question.
telling people that you're not willing to "entertain" anyone who doesn't give you exactly what advice you want to hear isn't going to inspire people to help you.

I keep exclusively planted vivariums, (not for tarantulas), but since you aren't entertaining advice that isn't exactly what you want to hear, I'm not going to offer you any.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I always leave out the fern tree fiber in my mixes since it's hard for me to find.
I do also use peat as the base, add in sand, and rotting hardwood wood and leaves.
I don't keep tarantulas, so I'm not sure how plants do in their environments, but it works fine for my millipedes + plants.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Greetings.

I was planning to make the standard NEHERP vivarium substrate using the recipe listed in the NEHERP website for some of my future tarantula enclosures but I realized the main ingredient may not be a good choice for tarantulas, and that is Fern Tree Fibers. They are quite hard and the tips can be considered quite sharp. I would have gone to the other option which is cypress mulch, but I also realize that can also be quite sharp, even sharper than fern tree fibers. From what I recall, this is a crucial ingredient for a good vivarium substrate as it allows a lot less compaction in the soil for the plants to grow much better.

I was wondering, if anyone here if they have any suggestions for substitutes that would work well, as well as be quite tarantula friendly?
what plants are you trying to grow?

TheDarkAbyss

Arachnopeon
telling people that you're not willing to "entertain" anyone who doesn't give you exactly what advice you want to hear isn't going to inspire people to help you.

I keep exclusively planted vivariums, (not for tarantulas), but since you aren't entertaining advice that isn't exactly what you want to hear, I'm not going to offer you any.
Exactly what I was hoping for since I was not asking whether I should or should not.

Thank you!!
what plants are you trying to grow?
Ferns, Dwarf Umbrellas, Rex Begonia, Pothos, Wandering Jew, Crotons, Watermelon Begonias

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Exactly what I was hoping for since I was not asking whether I should or should not.

Thank you!!

Ferns, Dwarf Umbrellas, Rex Begonia, Pothos, Wandering Jew, Crotons, Watermelon Begonias
FYI: To answer your substitution question: research what the PURPOSE of the tree fern is, that should lead you to a replacement for it. I know what I use in my vivariums since tree fern fiber is nearly impossible to get where I live.

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Regular abg should be fine, if you want to take out the tree fern just use more spag moss. Id probably do coco fiber, peat, coco husk, sand, and that nice quality long fiber spag moss. Just make sure it drains well and hold moisture. Also the bio dude makes something called terra arenea but ive never used it.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Topsoil, cheap and works perfectly. I use topsoil in my vivs without any issue at all. Ts and plants will love this substrate. Also it helps to springtails, isopods etc. to thrive.

Wich kind of setup are you planing to make?

This is mine:

IMG_20200505_203907.jpg

Last edited:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
No need for tree fern for a tarantula that's for constantly misted viv's like for pdfs. The main benefit of making your own substrate mix is to use materials to suit the tank /critters /plants /conditions /ventilation/ enclosure size etc of whatever result your trying to achieve, sometimes the hardest part is finding the right balance to keep everything happy.

The most common substrate additives I see are Coco fibre, peat, sphagnum, river sand, orchid bark, charcoal, beach sand, clay, leaf litter, vermiculite and plain old dirt. Lots of people use straight bagged topsoil also.
I like to make my own substrate, I make it to suit the viv, species and how wet or dry it will be maintained, for instance my planted tree frog tank sub mix is very different from planted enclosures containing tarantulas, although every mix is fairly well draining.
A good drainage layer and decent amount of substrate helps, don't pack it in too tight either, add some springtails and/or isopods, once planted, let it cycle and settle in before adding your critters, watch the amount of water you use too - once stuff like vermiculite, peat, coco fibre and sphagnum gets proper waterlogged in a vivarium it will stay waterlogged for ages and will cause rot rot and fungal probs for your plants.
Having a tap at the bottom of the enclosure makes things work even better too imo.
Good luck

Last edited: