Strange Behaviour? M. Martensii

CanadianScorpio

Arachnopeon
Noticed both of my adult m. martensii are both "climbing" in the corners of their tank. They sort of get up on their tails and scratch at the corner for long periods of time.

Is this normal? Are they unhappy and wanting something? They seem to be otherwise great, but this is more than a bit weird for me to watch.

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its normal. as explained to me, scorps like to wander sometimes and may just be exploring their enclosure. glass however is a strange barrier to them and i guess cant really figure out that they cant get through it. someone correct me if i am wrong.

andrew

CanadianScorpio

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your quick responses, makes me feel a lot better knowing this isn't indicative of them croaking in the very near future ;)

Is there anything I can give them to help satisfy their urge to wander? Or will they likely do this no matter what goodies I put in? There's already a couple of large bark pieces and some flat stoned piled up....

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Canadian-

I keep a few Mesobuthus spp. and the behavior you've described is quite normal. The set-up is good so don't worry.
Actually, mine tend to go through stages where they'll try climbing out of the enclosure one week and the next week, they'll not roam far from their scrapes and retreats. Good luck!

Luc

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heh you want wierd? i woke up this morning to the sound of something hard clinking on glass. i opened my eyes, put on my glasses, and what did i see? my big emp hanging from the screen top. it amazes me because as far as i know there is really no way for her to get up there. im kinda curious as to how she got up. guess its going to be a long night for me tonight :-D gotta love college and a forgiving schedule....

andrew