Stick Insects

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anybody have any experience with stick insects? I dont know exactly what species but the in the biology department of my university they have thousands and they just let them breed freely in this huge room. It is amazing and they said they would gimme a bunch for free. Basically I want any information at all that you can give.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd bet my teeth that the species you saw is Carausius morosus, the Indian stick insect. This species has been raised in captivity for about a hundred years! It is sometimes called "the laboratory stick" because it's often used in scietific experiments. It reproduces parthenogenically...there are no males. Very easy to breed, supposedly. I have no first hand experience with non-US native phasmids as they are illegal to keep here without a permit. Lucky Canadian!

Getting a steady supply of food is the biggest obstacle you'll need to overcome. Most captive stick insects feed on bramble or oak leaves, easy to find in the summer, but in the winter you may need to start growing your own bramble indoors. Of course, the biology dept may be able to help you aquire the food you'll need.

Wade

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Wade. And yes the Bio dept has offered me a supply of food for free from the greenhouse.