Spiderling? Juvenile? Sub adult?

Bobafett2k6

Arachnosquire
Just a quick one. Is there anything set in stone as to what makes your Tarantula a:

1. Spiderling
2. Juvenile
3. Sub adult
4. adult

just curious as to which categories my spiders fall into.

Thanks in advance.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
It's mostly an approximation because size obviously varies on the species and age isn't the only factor for growth rate and size. Typically juvies start showing adult coloration, but again it depends

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Just a quick one. Is there anything set in stone as to what makes your Tarantula a:

1. Spiderling
2. Juvenile
3. Sub adult
4. adult

Thanks in advance.

As a GENERAL guideline obviously this varies on the species of tarantula.

I would say :

1. Spiderling .5'' to 1''
2. Juvenile 1'' to 3''
3. Sub adult 3'' to 4''
4. adult 4'' to 5''+

Like I said it vaires on species as some adults may only reach a few inches while others may get 8-12''

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To me, spiderling is anything between 1st instar and juvenile (obviously), juvenile is about 2 inches for non-dwarf species (also sometimes considered something that can drink out of a water dish), and adult is sexually mature. Sub adult is around 3 inches for moderately sized species, but really the only two exact things you can know are that a sexually mature specimen is an adult and a young spider that doesn't look much like an adult is a spiderling.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Lets all give different answers and confuse Boba!!! LOL. j/k

Personally:

< 2" sling
2" - x juvie
>x" adult

X depends on the species;)

---------- Post added 09-30-2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

To me, spiderling is anything between 1st instar and juvenile (obviously), juvenile is about 2 inches for non-dwarf species
I rehoused my T's earlier last week, and my MF H. triseriatus is next to my ~2" G. pulchra. I was sad to see they are virtually the same size... Im not feeling the dwarf scene anymore.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

1. Spiderling
2. Juvenile
3. Sub adult
4. adult

Thanks in advance.
In a general sort of way, everybody has their own definitions because there are no distinct characters to help demarcate them, except perhaps for two levels in the system. I will offer my opinions here.

You forgot one stage: Baby. But, here I propose to blaze new territory, and to avoid highjacking this thread I will start a new one at WHAT IS A BABY?

Spiderling: Any immature tarantula (or other spider by extension) that does not fulfill the definition of "baby," and that is too small to be considered a juvenile or sub-adult.

Juvenile = Sub-adult: These may be used interchangeably. On the small/young end of the scale, these are any tarantula too large to be called a "spiderling," on the large end of the scale these are not yet MATURE adults.

Adult: Any tarantula that is known to be sexually mature. Males that have experienced their ultimate molt are fairly easy to recognize in most cases. But, females can only be guaranteed adults after they have produced an eggsac with eggs (viable or not).

Adulthood unknown: A proven female that has not produced eggs. Some license can be used when a female is so old or so large that there can be little question that it's an adult. (I'm open to a better name if any of you have one to offer.)

Enjoy your little 8-legged baby/spiderling/juvenile/adult/whatsit!

Last edited:

macbaffo

Arachnolord
in some species, a T ends to be a sling and becomes a juvenile when looses the coloration of "slinghood" (lol) and gets the "adult" colors or pattern.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in some species, a T ends to be a sling and becomes a juvenile when looses the coloration of "slinghood" (lol) and gets the "adult" colors or pattern.
Very good point! I hadn't thought about color and pattern. Well, back to the drawing board to sort thing thing out.