Spider hunters cheap light source?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This is entirely in the experimental stage. Lacking a black light I grabbed my green LASER pointer. I put it in a translucent white plastic box with another 3 layers, a total of about 1/2 inch, of that plastic to shine through. Each layer was separated from the next by a little to improve diffusion and light scatter.

I thought my eyes would need to adjust to the dark but this wasn't the case. I could see the ground clearly. Darned bright if irritating light.

It seems, going by my test victims, that lycosids and sparassids can't see in that spectrum. It's a very narrow spectrum (with a massive blast of infrared a number of magnitudes above the green spectrum since it has no IR filter but anyway.) The spiders only took note of me by my movement. Standing still I had a juvy sparassid wandering over my shoes.

This is something people could test out. I don't have a red pointer so can't comment there. My pointer is one of the illegal dangerous ones, guesstimated around 50 to 200 MW. A way to approximate the power of yours is shine it on a white wall in a brightly lit room about 3 feet away. If the bounced light feels significantly irritating to your eyes it's an illegal. They are pretty common.

With this, green unfiltered LASER, if you had an infrared detector or viewing ability it would be the end all be all of night hunting. The unfiltered IR from these bastards is supposedly about the magnitude of the illumination of a 500 watt halogen bulb. IE See across the yard as if in daylight.

I keep trying it out on our hole monster Minax but that sporker seems to have radar and sonar. It's like he can detect me thinking about spying on his escapades.
Hmm. They use daylight to detect threats and stuff themselves at the bottom of their holes. Daylight is mostly IR. Maybe they can see the IR spectrum? I'd need to get a filtered pointer to test that.

Last edited: