Spermatophore + UV

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello,
I heard some times (and read on the Leeming's book) that spermatophore is fluorescent with UV, but when I look at my spermatophores I don't see that (I tried on Parabuthus, Androctonus and Nebo).
So my question is : are the spermatophores really fluorescent (do they contain hialyne layer ?), or does it depends of species ? genus ?
Thanks for your help,
Eric

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never heard of the spermatophore being fluorescent in any of the papers dealing with the effect. The fluorescence arises due to the presence of the fluorophore b-carboline (and other associated aromatic systems), this seems to be produced as a result of cross-linking during Cuticular hardening. As such it would be strange to expect to see any fluorescence in the spermatophore since I doubt whether the same process would occur during the life time of the spermatophore. That being said its not impossible since similar compounds could be used in the construction of the spermatophore as are found in the cuticle, though in that case it seems odd it would be species dependant. There are some good papers on the subject:

S.A.Stockwell et al., The fluorescence of scorpions and cataractogenisis, chem. and Bio., 531-539, 1999
A. Fasel et al.,Photoluminescence of the African scorpion "Pandinus imperator", J. of Photochemistry and Photobiology, 96-98, 1997.

Last edited:

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never seen any spermatophore fluorescent under UV light.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just checked the relevant bits in "Biology of Scorpions" and "Scorpion biology and research" theres no mention of spermatophore fluorescence, maybe its a property that only one or two species (in south africa?) posses, or prehaps urban legend?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for your replies guys !
Here's a sentence from the page 80 of the Leeming's book : "The spermatophore that male scorpions deposit when mating is also fluorescent and can be collected in the light of a UV lamp"
Strange...
Greetings,
Eric

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi again,
In a paper on scorpion systematic by spermatophore study, M.Vachon talk just about chitin on spermatophore, no other compound...
Greetings,
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If chitin is the only polysaccharide present theres no reason to expect fluorescence, the precurser to the fluorophore is tryptophan (or a similar species) not as far as I'm aware anything to do with chitin. So If just chitin is present theres no chemical reason (if my knowledge of biochemistry serves me well) why fluorescence would occur, that being said it depends on the extent of the chemical analysis done by Vachon. :confused:

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes I'm agree...
Well, I'll ask to J.Leeming why he wrote that...
Thanks,
Eric