Speed of a salticid during a jump

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
In case you were wondering how a jumping spider can easily jump a fly before it takes off.

Approximately 50 to 160 meters per second or ~120 to 350 miles per hour.

Measurement methodology, modified optical mouse with 6MHZ clock, average leap distance 8-14 cm, time duration detection mode. Room for improvement, consider this only a rough estimation.

Salticids have an encephalitic fluid sack similar to bats to protect the brain from the G-force.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A BTW, I'm building one of these. Swapping out various light and sensor sources. It's a pretty simple build for anyone who wants to take the speed of something nearby. If you shop around all the parts shouldn't cost more than $30 or so. It's also a nice easy way to get to know Arduinos which have countless applications from filling the dogs watering dish to cascaded system controls.

One example of zoofy souped up sensor alternatives. https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-E18-D80NK-Adjustable-Avoidance-Detection/dp/B07C4S4XRX
I'm also walking the wild side with an unfiltered laser pointing device. These give out a nasty blast of IR - a harmonic I think,, that sensors can detect quite a ways away. They can easily be strobed.

Last edited: