Spanish Funnelwebs (Macrothele calpiana) SAC FINALLY HATCHED

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello Everyone- It's me Graham (Strange Cargo Inverts)... I haven't been on Arachnoboards for some time now.

I just got home from working 2 weeks offshore and found that my Spanish Funnelweb sac has hatched. I'm pretty sure this is the FIRST US BRED & HATCHED SAC from this species (I had purchased my juveniles from John Apple...I haven't spoke with him in probably a year but I know he did have some females that he though were gravid- he may have had a sac already).

My system:

Set the female up in a 5gal tank 1/2 full of coco coir and a few cork bark tubes. When my male matured, I set his entire webbed 16 oz deli cup into her cage. They co-habitated for over a month before she finally ate him... I only had one mature female at the time so I left him in the cage to ensure that he successfully bred her. I let the female hatch out her own sac instead of trying to take it away.... I walked into the house today and saw the females web covered with babies (well, I counted at least 32 spiderlings I could see)... over the next few days I'll pull the babies out as I see them (and befire canabalism starts too bad)!!!!!

This project has been over 2 years in the works... I'm excited to finally produce my FAVORITE species....

I'm a horrible photographer, but I'll try to post some pics tomorrow!

Graham

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Graham

cool beans man...I have two females I have not seen in a couple of months ...deep in the lair...Both have been with a male for some time before they were also in turn eaten....I am assuming in about a month I should see something if the timetable is correct...No cast skins so I am thinking sacs

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks John...My female did the same thing...just disapeared into her burrow... I didn't want to distiurb her... and vola- babies... they are pretty good sized (much larger than aphonopelma spiderlings)!!!! I hope you produce a bunch of babies!!!!!

Yoru friend,
Graham

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey Graham,
congrats, I´m glad it all worked out :clap: :clap: :clap:
My sac hatched about 1 month ago..it took only 3 weeks from building the sac to hatching. Have to admit that I didn´t count the spiderlings, but should be more than 50.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is FANTASTIC!! Good work guys! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can't wait to see some more of these on the market. Now that we have them, we need to be increasing the stock.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sweet

congrats
yeah shoot put me on that list when you start one.i want a few.
andy

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey Graham,
congrats, I´m glad it all worked out :clap: :clap: :clap:
My sac hatched about 1 month ago..it took only 3 weeks from building the sac to hatching. Have to admit that I didn´t count the spiderlings, but should be more than 50.
Thanks Bastian.... Looking further in her web last night I discovered even more...like you said...50+ easily... Congrats on your babies also!

Your friend,
Graham