Southern house spider, dead?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
So yesterday I was doing my feedings when I noticed my Southern house spider was on her web and not moving. I poked her with tongs and there was no movement at all. She does not seem to be in a death curl though. The last time she did something like this she laid an egg sac. In that situation she was in her webbed hole though. Not sure what's going on!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So yesterday I was doing my feedings when I noticed my Southern house spider was on her web and not moving. I poked her with tongs and there was no movement at all. She does not seem to be in a death curl though.
I've never seen anything like that in spiders. (Kuks do sometimes play dead when threatened, but usually not in their own webs. There, they can just retreat.)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Do you think she's dead? Should I just leave her how she is in her enclosure for a week?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Do you think she's dead? Should I just leave her how she is in her enclosure for a week?
I would leave her for now. If she is dead, she should start to decompose soon, and it will be obvious.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Unless you can figure a way to hook an EEC to a spider, it doesn't do any harm to give it a few days, does it?

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Very sad. The picture looks a little like it may have been a bad molt.

How old was she?

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks pretty healthy to have just dropped dead. I agree with the possibility of a bad molt, as her legs look in molting position. My own female just died of no doubt old age after having her for more than 9 years. She stopped eating almost a year ago with an abdomen the size of a grape, but died with what looked like a deflated balloon.