So I'm not having a good day....

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Came home to pick something up and decided to check on all of my Ts, to notice a couple of things.

First off my P. cambridgei has springtails all over her enclosure, no big deal, that's an easy fix. But then I went to check on everyone else...

My 3" female A. avicularia, who refused food this morning, now has white stuff around her fangs, it looks like she pooped and then picked it up, but I'm guessing that's probably not it. I plan to keep an eye on her and see what happens.

The next thing I noticed is that my C. bertae hasn't really moved at all today so I opened up the enclosure and gently tapped her bum, she just lifted her front legs a little. I tried to pinch grab her (which she's never stood for) and was able to, I immediately checked for white stuff, nothing, but she's still very sluggish, and not really moving, aside from lifting a leg if I touch her. :(

Other, non-T related stuff has been getting to me as well, so I'm in an awful mood right now. I can't loose these two girls. :(

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ariel, Sorry to hear you're not feeling so well, lately. I hope things turn out alright for the two. I know how much you care for you pets. Keep your head up. Terry

Lisa Gayle 713

Arachnopeon
Ariel,
I just read binky's epic journey through nemotode hell. I would suggest you try to get some old bread and let it mold asap. Apparently, penicillin will kill nemotodes. I'm not saying that is for sure what your girl has, I'm just saying it's best to be prepared. The thread is on a different AB.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys. A part of me doesn't really think it's nematodes, the consistancy of it just seems different from pictures, it was just one oval like glob, and not like a whole liquid covering the fang area. Most if it has since been dropped onto the webbing, it LOOKS like regular T poop, but why would she have had it in her fangs? and these still some goo left around her fangs.

As far as the C. bertae, I don't even know. She's always eaten very well, and was fairly active until just recently, like the past two weeks or so. Premolt maybe? though I've never seen a T get THAT sluggish before a molt. I suppose she could just be old too, I'm pretty certain she's wild caught.

A little more information I guess...

Up until now both females have been relatively healthy. They both ate, drank, defecated, and acted normal. Nothing really to take note of, or raise suspicion until now.

The A. avicularia is a 3"-3.5" female. She's housed in a 1quart just with lots of ventilation,about 1.5" of moist peat moss and a peice of corkbark and a waterdish. I perchased her mid-april, at a reptile show. Nothing really to say about behavior other than, she hasn't webbed at all before this last week when she suddenly created a bowl shape at the top of the enclosure.

The C. bertae is a 2" adult, probably female. She's housed in a small kritter keeper with about 3.5" of peat moss, half of which is kept moist, and a hide. She's never done any burrow, webbing, nothing. I purchased her from an LPS around mid-to-late May.

Neither T has molted in my care.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The Avic. & the C. bertae could both be in premolt. My Avic made her bowl shaped molting web a month ago & finally did her thing yesterday afternoon. She hadn't moved out of the bowl the entire time before the molt.

Fingers crossed it's just poo on her mouth :(

Hanes

Arachnosquire
As far as the C. bertae, I don't even know. She's always eaten very well, and was fairly active until just recently, like the past two weeks or so. Premolt maybe? though I've never seen a T get THAT sluggish before a molt. I suppose she could just be old too, I'm pretty certain she's wild caught.
I thought my c.fasciatum was near death a couple weeks ago as she hadn't moved from her spot and reacted very little to my attempts to get her to move but sure enough she molted and is back to her normal skittish self

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
An update:

No more white stuff has appeared on the A. avics mouth parts, just the same little amount that was still there last night at the bottom. The stuff dropped on the web seems to have dried up and looks like regular T poop, so maybe that's all it was. Why she was carrying it in her mouth, ain't got a clue. Still I'll keep an eye on her.

The C. bertae moved when I tapped her this morning, she turned around partially, but her legs are still moving a little weird and she's still sluggish, so I don't know. I hope it is just premolt, or whatever, I really don't want to end up loosing her.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
My B. vagans got very sluggish the other day, exactly like what you're describing. A little while later, she molted. So maybe it is just pre molt. *hopes* ;)

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the C. bertae died today. :( I didn't realize it at first because she didn't death curl or anything, but she didn't even move when I moved the enclosure, so I opened it up to check in her and her abdomen had gone all soft and....well....mushy.

On the up side, I'm pretty sure the A. avic is going to be alright. Just a false alarm I guess. :eek:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the C. bertae died today. :( I didn't realize it at first because she didn't death curl or anything, but she didn't even move when I moved the enclosure, so I opened it up to check in her and her abdomen had gone all soft and....well....mushy.

On the up side, I'm pretty sure the A. avic is going to be alright. Just a false alarm I guess. :eek:
Sorry to hear about your T....As far as the white crap on the avic,I see this on almost ALL of mine at some point or another,never had it harm them or had them act odd because of.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your T....As far as the white crap on the avic,I see this on almost ALL of mine at some point or another,never had it harm them or had them act odd because of.
Thanks. :eek:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just poop or something, she was probably trying to keep her web tidy and picked it up. I just kind of freaked at first but she's taken her place back on the shelf.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww sorry Ariel, thats too bad. I'm glad to hear your avic is doing well though