Smeringus mesaensis holding facility transfer

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Finally got off my lazy butt tonight to redo the sand my S. mesaensis (Satan's Little Helper) resides on. I'm curious if it will burrow or not as right now it digs many craters in it's Kritter Keeper, especially after another member recently told me that their's has never really made any attempts to dig/burrow and is actually not that aggressive. :? The few reports i did find of people on here who have them seem to usually keep them on dry, loose sand...but it says on invertcare's site that these can be burrowers as well. Time to satisfy my curiosity :)

The transfer to the temporary holding facility wasn't as easy as i had expected and from previous experiences trying to catch this little hellion lol. It was relaxing in one corner initially until i barely touched it and it jumped up tail half cocked. Another slight touch and it had whipped around stinger raised up and pincers spread...the next touch sent it scurrying to the other side of tank before I had half a chance to react. That definitely got me paying attention, especially a little later when it found some footholds in the slats in the sides of the Keeper and rapidly started trying to scrabble out and on to me...sheesh! First time it had done that to my knowledge, definitely got the pulse up a little bit as i tried to keep it contained lol.

Anyway...eventually got SLH to "cooperate" and the transfer itself went smooth. 15 minutes later and it's still sitting back to the wall in full threat posture, talk about high strung ;) Here's a couple pictures I managed to snap in the process:

the second two pictures don't really show just how utterly urinated off SLH was...comparing to the first picture the stinger would be even with the vertical line from the head, kept waiting for it to flip over forward :D It only attempted to sting the tongs once and that was near the beginning of the battle, not something that looks even remotely pleasurable. ha!

Last edited: