Should I hold the S. polymorpha when I get it and what is the chance it'll bite me?

SpidersAreEverything

Arachnopeon
I have done a bit of research and I know they are extremely venomous compared to other pedes, but what do you think?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
choice is yours to make but do post a detailed thread of the effects etc if/when you do get bit
I don’t have any pedes but I’d be afraid to Handle one , .. yes op can get bit for science and educate us the effects. Or get lucky and not get bit ! :rofl: :hurting:

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
It’s honestly up to you. Whatever you do, do it responsibly! For what it’s worth, most polymorpha I have worked with are quite docile, they don’t really bite. Of course it’s possible, but from my experience they tolerate handling pretty well. It depends on the individual too. If you do happen to get bit, definitely post it in the bite reports. Their bite isn’t too bad, it’s less painful than a bee sting from what I’ve heard. If you’re allergic to the venom that’s a different story though, and you could possibly go into anaphylactic shock. That’s usually super rare and almost never happens, but I wanted to let you know in the odd case of it actually happening.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It’s honestly up to you. Whatever you do, do it responsibly! For what it’s worth, most polymorpha I have worked with are quite docile, they don’t really bite. Of course it’s possible, but from my experience they tolerate handling pretty well. It depends on the individual too. If you do happen to get bit, definitely post it in the bite reports. Their bite isn’t too bad, it’s less painful than a bee sting from what I’ve heard. If you’re allergic to the venom that’s a different story though, and you could possibly go into anaphylactic shock. That’s usually super rare and almost never happens, but I wanted to let you know in the odd case of it actually happening.
wow it would suck to be alergic to the venom ofc , but mild venom unlike some of the other ones. I remember seeing handling videos of s gigantea once and the guy said he got bitten multiple times . Forgot which video though .. like the t stirmi of centepedes but super rare and expensive. They eat bats 🦇 in the wild too …and probably anything .
As to the tiger centipede it’s a
Really an awsome looking pede , do they do well room temperature 70-75 I may get one eventually because they like it dry and not a lot of moisture dependency. It says they are fossorial so probably won’t be seen much ?

Last edited:

Taffy

Arachnoknight
I have done a bit of research and I know they are extremely venomous compared to other pedes, but what do you think?
chance of getting bit is low. if you aren’t being annoying to the less you so t get bit. i don’t handle much anymore but when i do i never get bit. just move with the öde instead of against it

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
wow it would suck to be alergic to the venom ofc , but mild venom unlike some of the other ones. I remember seeing handling videos of s gigantea once and the guy said he got bitten multiple times . Forgot which video though .. like the t stirmi of centepedes but super rare and expensive. They eat bats 🦇 in the wild too …and probably anything .
As to the tiger centipede it’s a
Really an awsome looking pede , do they do well room temperature 70-75 I may get one eventually because they like it dry and not a lot of moisture dependency. It says they are fossorial so probably won’t be seen much ?
Yeah they do well with room temps, and they do like it dry but personally i’d give it the option of a slightly damp side and a dry side, and always make sure the water dish is full and you’ll be good to go. Just make sure to give it good cross ventilation down near the surface of the substrate!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah they do well with room temps, and they do like it dry but personally i’d give it the option of a slightly damp side and a dry side, and always make sure the water dish is full and you’ll be good to go. Just make sure to give it good cross ventilation down near the surface of the substrate!
Yeah I started doing the same thing with my Ts a wet corner or area I used to just overflow the water dishes but now I do more . I’d take it a plastic bin tall enough it can’t escape is the optimal enclosure if good cross ventilation is needed. That’s the downside of aquariums.. :(

SpidersAreEverything

Arachnopeon
chance of getting bit is low. if you aren’t being annoying to the less you so t get bit. i don’t handle much anymore but when i do i never get bit. just move with the öde instead of against it
Thanks, I kinda have experience from holding a brown centipede in my backyard

There's a higher chance of me getting an anaphylactic shock from milk then a pede ig

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There's a higher chance of me getting an anaphylactic shock from milk then a pede ig
No some pedes have really strong venom very painful even if no anaphylactic shock happens , but the more mild ones the chance is low . But I’ll let the people who hold them say how often they bite ! :rofl: :alien Unless you’re just joking 🙃.

Last edited:

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
In my teens, I have been bit multiple times by S. polymorpha catching them in the mountains and hills of southern California. Brief local pain, minor localized edema and swelling, and possibly itching. Anaphylaxis from centipede bites is very rare and case reports quite sparse in medical papers. Anaphylaxis poses a greater more common risk with hymenoptera stings, it is even has its own medical term - Hymenoptera Venom Allergy (HVA).

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
In my teens, I have been bit multiple times by S. polymorpha catching them in the mountains and hills of southern California. Brief local pain, minor localized edema and swelling, and possibly itching. Anaphylaxis from centipede bites is very rare and case reports quite sparse in medical papers. Anaphylaxis poses a greater more common risk with hymenoptera stings, it is even has its own medical term - Hymenoptera Venom Allergy (HVA).
So you’re saying this dude might as well hold this crazy centepede because the pain of a bite is mild? There’s the op green ✅ light , is it any scarier then holding a tarantula?
which I don’t do because hairs or escape /injury risk.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
So you’re saying this dude might as well hold this crazy centepede because the pain of a bite is mild? There’s the op green ✅ light , is it any scarier then holding a tarantula?
which I don’t do because hairs or escape /injury risk.
S. polymorpha aren't dangerous to humans. They aren't medically significant they are no more dangerous than bees (but with the exception of HVA). Their venom is mild. But no, I do not promote free handling any venomous invert in this particularly case only for the animal's sake.

Last edited: