Should I be worried?

KYguy

Arachnopeon
Sorry in advance for being so long winded. I just wanted to be as thorough as possible while painting my scenario, and give good time frames and habits.

Ive had my adult Centruroides gracilis 1.1.0 in a communal tank together for going on a month now since I got them. For the first 3 1/2 weeks they stayed pretty reclusive into their hides. They commonly housed together, as they seemed to both prefer the same hide, and they get along great with one another. But they would only venture out at night when the house was dark and quite. And they would come out and bask during the night hours. But neither up until now, have stayed out of their hides for an extended period, and never during the day time.

But now for the last 2-3 days the male has stayed out of the hide, and perched himself on the leaf of one of the decorative plants and hasn't moved from that spot since. Even during the daylight hours, which is a drastic change from their normal routine. He does change his facing directions frequently though and looks to be very healthy. Just glued to this one spot, day in and day out.

And now, my female has started doing the same on the opposite decorative plant as of the last 24hrs. She too looks to be healthy, and she is even a bit more mobile on her perch, yet still staying out all day not leaving her plant.

My first thought was the male was just hungry, but now that it has been an extended amount of time, and also now that the female has started doing the same thing. I am wondering what has changed, and what if anything could be wrong. I have been cycling different feeders each day until I see that the food is gone and they have eaten. And then I have been giving them a couple days before putting feeder's back in. I have been cycling wax worms, roaches, meal worms, and crickets. So I have been giving them plenty of variety.

They haven't eaten in the last two days that they started staying out of their hides, but it tells me they aren't hungry, as I have kept food out since I noticed they new behavior. 1st day was a cricket that didn't get eaten, so I swapped him out for couple roaches and a wax worm so they wouldn't get chewed on.

Needless to say, they still haven't eaten and are still perched on the décor. So I am wondering is it that they have just settled in finally and got comfortable enough in their new home to not need a hide all the time. Or could something be wrong? Any veterans know this behavior and can tell me if I need to do or change anything? The thing that worries me the most is that they haven't moved from their chosen plants even at night when they usually explore around, since they started this new behavior.

BTW my tank size is (30x 13x13) I believe. temp:75-83 humitiy: 60-75

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry in advance for being so long winded. I just wanted to be as thorough as possible while painting my scenario, and give good time frames and habits.

Ive had my adult Centruroides gracilis 1.1.0 in a communal tank together for going on a month now since I got them. For the first 3 1/2 weeks they stayed pretty reclusive into their hides. They commonly housed together, as they seemed to both prefer the same hide, and they get along great with one another. But they would only venture out at night when the house was dark and quite. And they would come out and bask during the night hours. But neither up until now, have stayed out of their hides for an extended period, and never during the day time.

But now for the last 2-3 days the male has stayed out of the hide, and perched himself on the leaf of one of the decorative plants and hasn't moved from that spot since. Even during the daylight hours, which is a drastic change from their normal routine. He does change his facing directions frequently though and looks to be very healthy. Just glued to this one spot, day in and day out.

And now, my female has started doing the same on the opposite decorative plant as of the last 24hrs. She too looks to be healthy, and she is even a bit more mobile on her perch, yet still staying out all day not leaving her plant.

My first thought was the male was just hungry, but now that it has been an extended amount of time, and also now that the female has started doing the same thing. I am wondering what has changed, and what if anything could be wrong. I have been cycling different feeders each day until I see that the food is gone and they have eaten. And then I have been giving them a couple days before putting feeder's back in. I have been cycling wax worms, roaches, meal worms, and crickets. So I have been giving them plenty of variety.

They haven't eaten in the last two days that they started staying out of their hides, but it tells me they aren't hungry, as I have kept food out since I noticed they new behavior. 1st day was a cricket that didn't get eaten, so I swapped him out for couple roaches and a wax worm so they wouldn't get chewed on.

Needless to say, they still haven't eaten and are still perched on the décor. So I am wondering is it that they have just settled in finally and got comfortable enough in their new home to not need a hide all the time. Or could something be wrong? Any veterans know this behavior and can tell me if I need to do or change anything? The thing that worries me the most is that they haven't moved from their chosen plants even at night when they usually explore around, since they started this new behavior.

BTW my tank size is (30x 13x13) I believe. temp:75-83 humitiy: 60-75
Have you checked inside of the hiding areas to see if any mold or anything is building up?

Is the enclosure set up to accommodate this arboreal species (vertically oriented bark and such) ?

KYguy

Arachnopeon
No mold, I double checked today. Pulled all the wood and closely examined. I even have all my vertical logs setting on rocks, so as not to pick up moisture from the substrate. I have 2 big "Y" shaped logs/root bases that I cleaned and kiln dried, as well as a third vertical log. I also have 3 big décor plants they climb on. And a medium sized rock formation/cave they can climb on top of for basking and mating. And they have several hides through out.

Update: after having to remove everything to inspect it, they haven't stayed on the plants as before, but they also haven't went into their normal hides either

Front view: if you look close you can see my female in the hollow of the log on the right, but its not very deep so she sticks out half way lol. The male has been staying on one of the big flat leaves on the left and not moving from that spot. The female was staying in the fern on the right but was more mobile than the male. Something new to either one of their habits. As I said they never have stayed out during the day hours, and only for an hour or two at night, have they ever really explored around or basked.

Rear view:

Right side:

Left side:

Below picture: is of their favorite hide, it is not elevated on rocks as the rest of the wood. But like I said I inspected it and it was clear of any mold. I usually only heavy mist between the rocks and the heavy dish. The rest only gets a light misting to keep the substrate from being chalky and dusty.

I also plan on adding bark 1/2 to 3/4 the way up on the rear glass all the way across as a back drop for them. But I have been enjoying being able to find them and see them from any angle atm. Its a really big tank for two scorps that usually stay hidden most of the time. And the back drop will mean I see them even less. :( I need more adult scorpions lol

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I would use vertical slabs of cork bark. This species likes to be vertical and arboreal and love the little crevices between stacked bark.