Setup Ideas for a Root Cellar

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
I have a root cellar that stays consistently around 15C/60F in the summer, and dips to ~10C/50F in the winter. I was wondering if y'all have any suggestions for cold-climate critters who might like it in there. I am definitely thinking about New Zealand / Chile Velvet worms, but any other ideas or images of your cold terrariums would be welcome!

Here's a picture. It's a bit dusty in there right now, but there's plenty of shelves for terraria!
20231025_210058.jpg

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Some true spiders would be able to deal with those temps I know most of our UK spiders can deal with those temps. Idk where u hail from but your native wildlife would probably do in those temps too you could make a native viv like a bit of forest floor from your area, I have seen ppl make vivs like that n they are amazing tbh if you get it right, the balance is hard to get but I don't see why you couldn't with the right research 😉 native sp need love too 😊

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, man...those velvet worms if you can get them, but if you're a plant guy, that'd be the perfect place for growing some Masdevallia orchids. Some very interesting species, & they LOVE it cool...

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
Some true spiders would be able to deal with those temps I know most of our UK spiders can deal with those temps. Idk where u hail from but your native wildlife would probably do in those temps too you could make a native viv like a bit of forest floor from your area, I have seen ppl make vivs like that n they are amazing tbh if you get it right, the balance is hard to get but I don't see why you couldn't with the right research 😉 native sp need love too 😊
I live in Southern Ontario and we definitely have some cool native fauna! I've seen lots of native millipedes and even a few rare mole salamanders on my property, though those are best left in the wild. Another idea I've been toying with is to use it as a wintering chamber for species who need seasons. I would have to manually move them out of the cellar between seasons though, so that might be a hassle.

An ideal environment for aging cheese.
Not for from its previous use actually! My partner uses the other side to store pickles! 🥒

Earthworms maybe
That would be interesting. I usually keep a few night crawlers on hand, but starting a larger culture, or investigating other worm species might be fun

Yeah, man...those velvet worms if you can get them, but if you're a plant guy, that'd be the perfect place for growing some Masdevallia orchids. Some very interesting species, & they LOVE it cool...
Those are gorgeous! I might have to look into being a plant guy. Getting velvet worms has been a bit of a challenge, but I'm planning a trip to Chile in the foreseeable future. The hard part is looking for someone who can confirm they have seen the worms on their unprotected, private property.