Scolopendra sitting on surface

Zaphkeil

Arachnopeon
He's been laying on the surface lately. Not sure why. I also have a massive population of springtails in there which makes me worry if it's stressing him out when he's in his moist burrows (since I'm sure the speingtails are crazy in the moist areas).

He doesn't have direct light but he gets a daylight cycle from the frog cage that's right next to him.
No telling what the humidity is in there. It looks moist and the analog hygrometer says 70% usually but you honestly can't trust that thing.

Anyway, is it a sign of high temp, high/low humidity, stress from springtails? Any experience with this?

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
My Scolopendra sp. white legs always spent a lot of time out in the open, same with mint legs. They both lived full lives though, so I don't think it was an issue. I'd be more concerned if this was a sudden change in behavior especially in more fossorial species like polymorpha or alternans.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
He's been laying on the surface lately. Not sure why. I also have a massive population of springtails in there which makes me worry if it's stressing him out when he's in his moist burrows (since I'm sure the speingtails are crazy in the moist areas).

He doesn't have direct light but he gets a daylight cycle from the frog cage that's right next to him.
No telling what the humidity is in there. It looks moist and the analog hygrometer says 70% usually but you honestly can't trust that thing.

Anyway, is it a sign of high temp, high/low humidity, stress from springtails? Any experience with this?
Any pictures?

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Peru giants lay out in the surface often, unless your specimen that you have (not sure how long you have it but for a couple of months at least to know what's norm and not?) is often hiding and now is starting to come out.

From my limited experience with them, certain species hang at the top more, get braver as they grow bigger, sometimes it'll just depend on their mood. Getting ready form a molt and recovering for a molt will cause them to hide more and now does not hide as much.
I've had some that change their moods after a molt. Maybe it feels more secure above ground now than it did before?

That being said, you can also create a dry and more moist side and see which side it chooses. Springtails are usually no bother unless you got WAY too many and then you have to ask yourself "what are they feeding off of?" as they need the food to increase and sustain their numbers. If fed appropriate sized prey, centipedes do a pretty good job eating the whole insect prey most of the time, so if you have springtail populations exploding in there, it should make you wonder. Making one side dry will also give your pede a way to escape from them and the moisture if it needs. I usually run my enclosures on the drier side to avoid mycosis, water cap in the middle.