s. polymorpha temperature requirement?

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
With the aid of a heatmat, I can get the temperature inside a invert enclosure to between 70-75 F during these cold winter months (70F being the absolute worst scenario). Would this be good enough for a s. polymorpha?

I've seen on caresheets that they require around 80-85F, but I don't know if they can tolerate variations from the "ideal" temperature the same way an emperor scorp or g. rosea can. Anyway, please let me if the sort of temperature range I can provide is good enough for a s. polymorpha, or other similar desert pedes in general.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Care sheets are ridiculous sometimes. S. polymorpha is a widespread species in the sw US, and if it really needed those temps all the time they'd never survive the winter! Obviously they have access to high temps in the summer, but winter temps in much of their range are going to be quite cool. Maybe not freezing, but 50's at least.

I've kept many S. polymorpha and I've found them to be the hardiest centipede I've ever kept. I keep mine in a room with winter temps in the high 60's to low 70's without any sort of extra heat and they do great.

If the centipede eats, odds are it's plenty warm enough.

VesAn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you! This is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I'll be getting one of these pedes once I've the setup ready! :D