Running crab spider not eating

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
I decided to get a running crab spider a few weeks ago (not too sure on the exact sub-species), but I've offered it 2 crickets and it didn't eat either. It did eat a drumstick that fell off of 1, but the crickets are significantly smaller than the spider. Any advice or reason as to why it's doing this?

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Hmmmm interesting. The size of prey a spider will go for varies wildly. My jumpers and pholcids are comfortable taking down prey that's massive compared to them but my tarantula slings prefer much smaller (or prekilled). If lil bro is going for the drumsticks you can probably stick to those for awhile. How big is it? You could always try flightless fruit flies (although they aren't great nutritionally), chopped mealworms etc. Maybe it's picky lol 😁. I've heard dehydration can also make spiders stop eating. Would love to see photos btw 🕷

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
I'll offer it some water and I think I still have some fruit flies. Thank you so much for the advice!
1000001688.jpg

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
I had a male Philodromus sp, he passed a few months ago due to age, he was also very picky. I had luck with fruit flies, black soldier flies, and pinhead crickets. Just be careful with Black soldier flies, they have buzzsaw mouths so definitely crush the head. Good luck with your little pal and have a good one.