Roach mating/gestation questions??

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As pertaining to Orange head roaches:

Does a female roach develop an ootheca and then mate with a male or do they mate and then form the ootheca??

At what point in development are the young when the female extends it outside the body to dry/harden(this is in live bearers) and then retract it?

I've noticed several roaches running around and lifting their wings up (not spreading them) at other adults. It reminds me very much of someone lifting a skirt to flash their butt or "moon" someone. Is this a male display for dominance or is it some type of mating display to attract a mate by either sex?

Thanks in advance!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I believe in order for the eggs to mature, the female must mate, but the eggs do not necessarily mature because they are fertilized, that comes later. I believe after the ove mature, they are then fertilized by the stored sperm. The female then extends the fertile oothecae outside of her body to turn it around about 90 degrees, so that her body can be more flat.

The males lift their wings up as a dominance display, and to attract nearby virgin females.