Rhysida longipes questions

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm still somewhat of a newbie at keeping centipedes (I've had H. marginata, S. polymorpha, and one S. longipes but that's about it). I'm planning on getting some Rhysida longipes and hopefully attempting to breed them eventually. I already researched how to sex them, but I do still have a few questions. To those of you who have kept this species: are they picky about conditions (moisture, humidity, temperature, space)? I've read that overfeeding pedes can be a problem. I also heard that females often decide to eat their clutches. Is it recommended to feed females after egg laying or do they guard them 24/7? Thanks in advance.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You never want to bother or stress centipedes if they're with a clutch of eggs. R. longipes is one of the easiest pedes to keep and most can be kept in 16oz delicups since they reach 3''-3.5'' max size as adults. They're very hardy and are great eaters and adapt very well to most environments in my experience. I just keep them on slightly moist substrate and they'll just burrow and do the rest. Pedes do not have to be fed often since they fatten up quite quickly, my R. longipes can go 2 weeks to a month without food after just one good feeding.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I'm still somewhat of a newbie at keeping centipedes (I've had H. marginata, S. polymorpha, and one S. longipes but that's about it). I'm planning on getting some Rhysida longipes and hopefully attempting to breed them eventually. I already researched how to sex them, but I do still have a few questions. To those of you who have kept this species: are they picky about conditions (moisture, humidity, temperature, space)? I've read that overfeeding pedes can be a problem. I also heard that females often decide to eat their clutches. Is it recommended to feed females after egg laying or do they guard them 24/7? Thanks in advance.
I have an AF, and while I haven’t bred them, she did give me a clutch off pedelings last year. When she was on eggs, I was careful not to disturb her, and I didn’t attempt to feed her until I separated the pedelings.

Keep them on fairly moist substrate, and make sure you give them plenty of room to burrow. They are very reclusive, and you’re unlikely to see them all that often, unless they’re hungry.

As long as they are able to burrow, they don’t require a ton of space. And as for temps, they’ll be fine at room temp.

Good luck with yours! :)

36CCE8FB-0D71-411C-ACF1-9956FD70862F.jpeg

3BA04542-FA4D-4875-BBE1-9C9F60A5683E.jpeg

4616B685-5D25-4EAF-9F9D-3A679657790D.jpeg

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an AF, and while I haven’t bred them, she did give me a clutch off pedelings last year. When she was on eggs, I was careful not to disturb her, and I didn’t attempt to feed her until I separated the pedelings.

Keep them on fairly moist substrate, and make sure you give them plenty of room to burrow. They are very reclusive, and you’re unlikely to see them all that often, unless they’re hungry.

As long as they are able to burrow, they don’t require a ton of space. And as for temps, they’ll be fine at room temp.

Good luck with yours! :)

View attachment 353078

View attachment 353079

View attachment 353080
Thanks for the info. Do they guard eggs at the surface for do they stay burrowed with them?