Raising mealworms?? Tips ?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Bone-dry coco fiber. I added a little used millipede substrate one time but that's not really needed. The coco fiber should serve just fine for your substrate.
I had issues using coco fiber or topsoil because it would mold when I place veggies in there for the meal worms to eat, and it’s hard to separate them from soil. Two Beatles already died unable to to flip back over, how often should I try to feed the Beatles?

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
I had issues using coco fiber or topsoil because it would mold when I place veggies in there for the meal worms to eat, and it’s hard to separate them from soil. Two Beatles already died unable to to flip back over, how often should I try to feed the Beatles?
I don't put food directly on the substrate, I would recommend using a large cap from a jar or something like that and putting the food on that. I use a 3d-printed cap-like thing that I had lying around, and I've used a large salsa container cap about 1.5-2" in diameter and 1/2" tall before with no issues. Even the small mealworms are able to climb it, you can bury it a bit in the substrate or place a leaf as a "bridge" into it and they will climb in/out. In the enclosure, I have a piece of cork bark in one corner and I've scattered leaf litter across the surface. The beetles can grip onto this and I believe they lay their eggs on it too. If I forget to feed them they are able to eat the leaves so that's a nice consideration as well. I keep my larvae and beetles together in one container, the only thing is you must check every once in a while for pupae because both the larvae and the beetles WILL eat them after some time (guess they're very high in protein and juicy?). I took one of those mealworm cups you get from a pet store, cut a hole in the side for the beetles/larvae to use as an enclosed hide, and I place any pupae I find on the top. I textured the side with a knife (you should be able to use sandpaper as well) and when the beetles emerge they climb down on their own. Because it is wider on the top than the bottom, it's difficult for any emerged beetles at the bottom to climb to the top to eat the pupae, and I've never seen it happen.

Another word on the substrate, I've noticed that the mealworms raised on coco fiber and fed fresh veggies (+ the occasional helping of protein pellets) have a smoother, cleaner, almost ceramic appearance with more vibrant colors and greater activity. Mealworms I've gotten from pet stores in that flaky stuff seem to be more lethargic, duller, and sometimes have issues with frass getting stuck to their behinds which can lead to death (I've NEVER had any issues like that with my coco fiber mealworms). The adult beetles also seem to live longer.

I can add pictures of my setup if you want. I seem to have waves of growth and recession within the culture, but they have been producing mealworms for multiple years with no issues.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Honestly I throw in some food whenever I notice their food dish is empty. I have dried leaves in there so if you ever wait too long they just eat that.
Any idea how big they are supposed to get before pupating? I got a few getting large. One pupa for size comparison. IMG_7193.jpeg IMG_7192.jpeg

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Any idea how big they are supposed to get before pupating? I got a few getting large. One pupa for size comparison. View attachment 469369 View attachment 469370
They seem to pupate around that size. A sign of a mealworm nearing pupation is that it doesn't move around for a while unless disturbed and lays on its side in a slightly bent shape.

On an unrelated note, I have discovered that mine do not like blackberries very much. I don't know if it was because the berries weren't extremely fresh, but they don't swarm it like they do other foods and I just seem to nibble on it from time to time.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They seem to pupate around that size. A sign of a mealworm nearing pupation is that it doesn't move around for a while unless disturbed and lays on its side in a slightly bent shape.

On an unrelated note, I have discovered that mine do not like blackberries very much. I don't know if it was because the berries weren't extremely fresh, but they don't swarm it like they do other foods and I just seem to nibble on it from time to time.
Ant invasion of a small number of mealworm pupa, some aren’t forming correctly were easy prey . IMG_7891.jpeg IMG_7890.jpeg IMG_7889.jpeg

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Ant invasion of a small number of mealworm pupa, some aren’t forming correctly were easy prey . View attachment 471743 View attachment 471744 View attachment 471745
Sorry to hear that! Occasionally the beetles fail to emerge properly, but if many of yours are, they could be dehydrated. The issue is that the pupal skin gets stuck on them and/or they cannot pump fluids into their unformed wings, preventing them from properly hardening. I would recommend feeding fresh and hydrating veggies, as well as making sure they aren't in an extremely dry area. Don't mist them, but I believe keeping them close to things like cork bark and coco fiber helps because it absorbs humidity in the air which is slowly released without making anything moist, but I'm just guessing.