Raising a giant

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a huge scorp, its name is the black death and it is easily 10 inches long.

I feed it pinkies and fuzzys because the amount of crickets i have to feed it is insane, and they chrip all day and night long which annoys me.

What do you guys think of her?
about as big as my huge female

i'm willing to sell her btw :p just need shipping supplies....

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My guess is that it maybe a little over 5", you just can't tell with a pic taken at that angle. We need to see things next to a ruler when it comes to size claims on the internet. I remember somebody on a diff site with misleading advertising making people think they had 7 and 8 inchers by twisting words. The person never would post a pic of them next to a ruler:rolleyes:.

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think we'd all like to see the scorpion measured with the standard, most accepted method of measurement Galapoheros mentioned above. Although I'd also be one who would like to see her measured I'd like to ask a some questions that would help me raise an individual (and many more) to my desired size.

Did you raise the scorpion from a sling (I know it may have been of adult size at the date of purchase) and if not which age? Should you have bought her while she was young what did you feed her throughout her lifespan? What kind of captive conditions has she been under? I'd like all the details I can get if you don't mind. Once more, I think the most crucial thing we'd all like to see is what Galapoheros described to get any idea of what her size must be. No offense to you of course.

Rideon

Arachnopeon
have you guys thought of the foodsource that may contribute to the growth rate of the scorpions? I mean not the type of insects they eat.. but the oposite. What the insect eat that in theory will pass all the nutrients they eat to its predator meaning the scorpions. I have a large batch of Spinifer Scorplings and currently im undertaking some esperiments on them in term of temperature, food, and care. We see if any of these controlled experiments will lead to any gigantor scorpions. But for nowthe 2nd batches of 3rd instar scorplings are with their mother. Seems alot far greater grower than the separated from mother one. These guys grow much faster then the isolated one... we'll see hw it goes...

jpcrazylegs

Arachnopeon
That was the only time we managed to hold it because it was in a calm mood. I kept trying to work with the scorpion but it kept getting meaner and meaner and I couldnt figure out why. Turns out my roommates girlfriend was literally torturing my poor scorpion every time I was at work poking at it and blowing on it. It stinks cause I really wanted it to be a holdable scorpion but now even just taking the top of the tank off it becomes so hostile I cannot dare hold it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Coooool. I've got one 6 incher, and some in the fridge, maybe take pics later. You can't get the same feel with a pic of the big ones, but seeing them in person, :eek:, ...if you like emps and bigger scorps.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Coooool. I've got one 6 incher, and some in the fridge, maybe take pics later. You can't get the same feel with a pic of the big ones, but seeing them in person, :eek:, ...if you like emps and bigger scorps.
Ditto,

They just don't look/feel as big in pics.