Quick Question About Food Size

Bexx

Arachnopeon
Hey all! I have a question about food size. I did some digging on my own, but found conflicting info, so I figured it would be best to ask!

I am expecting my GBB to arrive in the mail on Friday. The one I ordered is supposed to be about 2 inches in leg span, so not the smallest, but not anywhere near full grown. For food, I have some mini mealworms (I give them to my mantis as a treat) and some superworms.

I think the mini mealworms might be a bit too small, and the superworms look WAY too big. I was already planning on pre-crushing the superworms' heads, as I know that they can be bitey, especially for small Ts. And I was just wondering if a superworm, pre-killed, would be alright for an approx. 2 inch GBB? I've seen some stuff that says no, some that says yes. I know they'll last for a while with proper care so if I had to, I could order some smaller ones. But do you guys think a pre-killed superworm would be okay? Should I maybe pre-kill and chop it up?

I just want to make sure my little guy is happy, healthy, and well-fed!

Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
it will be fine...you could also feed several of the mini meal worms.

But when feeding dead prey, its just fine to feed over sized prey.....just know that it will need to be fed a whole lot less often.

Bexx

Arachnopeon
it will be fine...you could also feed several of the mini meal worms.

But when feeding dead prey, its just fine to feed over sized prey.....just know that it will need to be fed a whole lot less often.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah- I imagine a superworm for a T that size would mean that I'd need to feed it much more infrequently. I've been noticing with my jumping spider that since I switched to houseflies from fruit flies, she slims down a lot slower than before.

cold blood

Staff member
I've been noticing with my jumping spider that since I switched to houseflies from fruit flies, she slims down a lot slower than before.
good call, as fruit flies are nutritionally deficient and should never be fed as the main food source

Bexx

Arachnopeon
So are these just houseflies you catch? A- how do you attract them and B- how do you catch them.
I purchase them as pupae and then hatch them! I personally wouldn't feel comfortable feeding anything that I caught in my home or outside to my pets- I don't know what they've been eating or some in contact with. I get my pupae from Josh's Frogs, keep them in the fridge, and pull out a few at a time to hatch them.

good call, as fruit flies are nutritionally deficient and should never be fed as the main food source
I started both my jumper and mantis on them when they were little, but they're both big enough for larger prey now. They both seemed to eat a LOT of fruit flies versus like. One hour fly or mealworm being enough for them for at least a couple of days.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
GBB youngsters will enthusiastically take housefly or blue bottle fly larvae or adults, too. Just FYI. I hatch them out primarily for other pets but the spiders enjoy them as well.

MrPole

Arachnopeon
I purchase them as pupae and then hatch them! I personally wouldn't feel comfortable feeding anything that I caught in my home or outside to my pets- I don't know what they've been eating or some in contact with. I get my pupae from Josh's Frogs, keep them in the fridge, and pull out a few at a time to hatch them.
Oh wow. I know JF had fruitflies, didn't realize they also sold houseflies. It never crossed my mind that you could by them as pupae.

Bexx

Arachnopeon
Oh wow. I know JF had fruitflies, didn't realize they also sold houseflies. It never crossed my mind that you could by them as pupae.
Yep! I'm also looking into other kinds of larvae for my little creepy crawlies- I've heard good things about waxworms. You can feed them as worms or as moths- I think my Ghost Mantis would LOVE hunting down moths.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey all! I have a question about food size. I did some digging on my own, but found conflicting info, so I figured it would be best to ask!

I am expecting my GBB to arrive in the mail on Friday. The one I ordered is supposed to be about 2 inches in leg span, so not the smallest, but not anywhere near full grown. For food, I have some mini mealworms (I give them to my mantis as a treat) and some superworms.

I think the mini mealworms might be a bit too small, and the superworms look WAY too big. I was already planning on pre-crushing the superworms' heads, as I know that they can be bitey, especially for small Ts. And I was just wondering if a superworm, pre-killed, would be alright for an approx. 2 inch GBB? I've seen some stuff that says no, some that says yes. I know they'll last for a while with proper care so if I had to, I could order some smaller ones. But do you guys think a pre-killed superworm would be okay? Should I maybe pre-kill and chop it up?

I just want to make sure my little guy is happy, healthy, and well-fed!

Thanks!
Mealworms are HIGH in fat, that means Ts will grow well! Not sure how big mini's are, but you could do that, or your other idea as well. GBBs Ive owned all had great feeding response. Ultimately it comes down to the animal you own, some are shy/more careful, and others are not.