Question about using plants from old enclosures.

Will Elliott

Arachnopeon
I am still rather new to the hobby so I wanted to hear what other people have done to sanitize and use fake plants from an old enclosure for a new T set up? Is that possible? Should I just get some new fake plants? Thanks for any help. :)

Little my

Arachnopeon
If there fake I wouldn't worry too much about it but you should clean it for sure
With my old experience with hermit crabs boiling any wood or rocks cleans it pretty well, not to sure if it would work with plastic though I fear the plastic would melt or burn possibly causing poisoning or dangerous chemicals to be exposed

Will Elliott

Arachnopeon
If there fake I wouldn't worry too much about it but you should clean it for sure
With my old experience with hermit crabs boiling any wood or rocks cleans it pretty well, not to sure if it would work with plastic though I fear the plastic would melt or burn possibly causing poisoning or dangerous chemicals to be exposed
My plan is to wash them with a SUPER diluted bleach solution and then wash them with super hot water? What are peoples thoughts?

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, there is absolutely no meaning in doing so, you only risking getting some residue of bleach into new enclosure! Absolutely no point. If one is rehousing a tarantula, it is good idea to re-use the old substrate and mix it up with the new soil! This is one of the questions that always seems to pop up whith new keeper! So yeah, just put the old plant into the new enclosure!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I am still rather new to the hobby so I wanted to hear what other people have done to sanitize and use fake plants from an old enclosure for a new T set up? Is that possible? Should I just get some new fake plants? Thanks for any help. :)
If it's the same T, just put it into the new enclosure.
If it's for another T I just wash them thoroughly with hot water to get rid off any leftover webbing or poop. ;)

Last edited: