Psyttala horrida assassin bugs question

boxofspiders

Arachnopeon
Picked up several p horrida nymphs, my first time keeping any assassin bugs. Does this setup seem appropriate? No substrate just a piece of bark and some moss for humidity. Not sure about the moss and wondering if I should remove it, I've heard they like high humidity but for their surroundings to be dry. Also wondering if I should add some sort of substrate, I didn't as it's a lot easier to clean this way, but if they need it for some reason i will. Final thing is temperature, my home is typically high 60s to mid 70s F, is that too cold for these guys? Especially when it comes to breeding will I need to raise temps? Any advice from people expereinced with these is appreciated thanks.

Attachments

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
use search function boy from la has a thread on his breeding colony

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yeah I only have four small nymphs so I figured it would be enough for them until they outgrow it and or I get more, could be wrong though.
Temp.
24 - 28 C.
Humidity.
Low, small water dish is fine.
Substrate.
3 - 4 cms. Topsoil, Coco fibre.
Cork Bark .
2/3 pieces.

Good ventilation.

Keep them dry and warm with low humidity.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
  1. Give plenty vertical space for them to molt
  2. No need of substrates when not matured
  3. No need to mist (I didn’t at least)

nineslugs

Arachnopeon
So I have never kept P. horrida, but I do have a few years of experience with Platymeris. If you are starting with only a few nymphs I would suggest keeping them seperate till they get a little bigger, since younger bugs occasionally exhibit cannibalism. If well fed this likely won't happen, but I've seen it on occasion.

boxofspiders

Arachnopeon
How is the colony getting along?
How is the colony getting along?
Unfortunately only two have survived, I started out with five and three of them died shortly after arriving, seems liked they had started molting while in transit and never really recovered form it. The remaining two are doing well though, very active and feisty. They are around 3/4s of the way full grown by now and I'm hoping they happen to be male and female so there's at least some chance of them breeding. It's a long shot though so I'm always on the lookout for more.