Psychotic Red Trap Door

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know the exact latin name for this species, so forgive my common name title :). But I got one of these recently and she is insane! If I so much as cast a shadow over her she starts striking and taking defensive postures. This normal for this species?

Also, how long does it usually take for one to actually make a burrow usually? I've only had it for a few days, and it just sits on top of the substrate all curled up...

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont have much experience with trap doors but this sounds like a Gorgyrella spp.
I do know that you should make a starter hole and it should burrow, you need sufficient depth.

Someone else who knows will give their advise soon i hope:)

Last edited:

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
deep burrower, aggressive, slightly humid..give plenty of dirt..

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I purcjased a red trap as a Gorgyrella sp. that was probably actually a Ctezidinae spp (probably not even close on the spelling). It was unbelievable fierce during the rehousing. I've never seen any tarantula come close to that level of aggresion and i've seen some really p!55ed off OBT's. Yours will settle down once it's burrowed a bit and you'll never see it again.

Like above, deep, slightly moist substrate is what you need. I have mine in a 1gal plastic pretzel jar. I put a stick half buried in the dirt and started a burrow underneath it with my finger. She took to the burrow within a few days and now I only see here when she pops out to grab a roach every other week.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ok, I'll try making a hole for her. And I'll use 12 inch tongs... lol. She's actually my wifes spider, if it were up to me I wouldn't have gotten one because they look like little crabs. And they appear to be crab a**es. Hopefully soon enough she'll become a pet hole and calm down a bit. thanks guys :)