post pregnancy behaviour

andyr19

Arachnopeon
this is pretty long winded and i dont need any specific help. so if you have popped in this thread to answer a quick question, thanks but this is more a random muse than a question. :p

my female indian forest scorpion recently gave birth. she was either pregnant when i got her or my attempt at mating was successful... that attempt was shortly after i bought her.

she has never attempted to dig before (the adult male frequently digs, usually after i have moistened the soil. for obvious reasons i imagine.)

she had about 10 little scorplings. 6 have been removed, upwards of 2 remain.

i noticed some of them were struggling to make it out of her stone hide. all holes in the hide are above ground level.

so anyway... she has (over the last few days) dug a hole under the stone hide providing a route out from ground level.

i had made a hole when i set up the enclosure (not near the stone hide) which i placed a slice of cork bark over as another option for her. she has never shown any interest in it and it half filled in with soil over the past months.

very recently, along with digging under the side of her old home she has made a scrape and re-opened the above mentioned hole and has retreated down there.

keeping in mind she has been pregnant for most of the time i've had her, do you think she has started to dig as she is no longer pregnant or is this parental behaviour?

the stone hide was the least moist part of the tank and the hole is sure to be a moist place for the scorplings.

i havnt had a look yet to see if the scorplings are in the stone hide still or with her under the cork bark.

how long would scorplings stay with their mother in the wild? or in captivity in your experience?

... i will remove the other scorplings from her care at some point. i was going to do so last weekend but when i removed the hide she seemed to let one of them hide underneath her and i convinced myself she is still looking after them. :/ ... i am aware she may eat them and i dont want to risk the scorplings health for no reason (i have kept her well fed since giving birth.) it would be interesting however to have a few in mums care and a few in my care and see if there are any major differences in mortality or size.