Post molt complications, and why you should intervene ASAP. (Stuck Tarantula)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Just figured I would share this as an example for others, who may be forced to deal with this kind of situation in the future. The issue occurred with a Brachypelma albiceps, both pedipalps and one of the front legs were completely stuck in the molt. It was was no longer making any progress, and the old molt was clearly preventing it from moving around.
20181218_224908.jpg
Now this could have been a major hindrance to the specimen had I not noticed right away...and had the limbs gotten stuck inside the molt and hardened completely. Luckily, I was able to help in time and free it from the molt.

Keep in mind, its imperative to do this while the tarantula is still soft. I basically just gently swabbed on the legs with a moist Q-tip, loosening them, and then managed to slowly pull the molt away. The specimen lost one palp in the process, but all the other limbs were saved and are in good condition. Now a couple days later, its happily stretching and seems pretty unphased by the ordeal.
20181220_224739.jpg
To sum it up in a nutshell, if your tarantula gets stuck in its molt...do what you can to help before its too late.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
To sum it up in a nutshell, if your tarantula gets stuck in its molt...do what you can to help before its too late.
Words of the day.

Hours ago, Acanthoscurria geniculata molted, and was stuck with the old skins, so I helped it a bit.

A663822D-5AFC-4777-A84E-7CBDFE9B8A96.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

FinnMosin

Arachnopeon
EXACT same scenario happened a week back with an Iridopelma hirsutum spiderling I keep (add stuck chelicerae). It was my first stuck molt. It hadn’t made any progress for hours and I knew it was time to free the chelicerae and palps. If I hadn’t, it surely would be dead spider if hardened further. I am happy to have spoken with many people and knew what I was dealing with to have the instinct to immediately intervene. This is a very valuable post for people to see.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
If anyone else has stories of similar occurrences, or even needs advice of their own, feel free to post/share in this thread. The more data we can compile on these issues, the better.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Necro, but I did have to do something similar when my A. geniculata sling molted last month. The chelicerae, both pedipalps and all eight legs came out fine, but the abdomen remained partially attached to the T even after it had flipped back over and was on its feet. I pulled it off with tongs, was afraid I might have done damage that might lead to impaction, but the sling was fine in the end and began eating eventually.