Please help

pancake

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, we are needing some help with our A. Avic. We’ve had her since 2000, so 4 years now. Guessing it’s female because throughout all her molts, she’s never developed hooks. Her leg span is approximately 4 inches or so. Her abdomen is small so we tried feeding her and she won’t take the dubia. We squirted some water along the walls and she sucked up a few droplets. The fact that she’s curled up and at the bottom of her enclosure worries us. Could it be old age?
Going to attach 2 photos. First one is when we got her, for size comparison that enclosure was about 3 inches by 6 inches if I’m remembering correctly. Second pic is her today. :-(

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it 4 yrs old - I don’t care how long you had it

don’t guess on sex

pancake

Arachnopeon
We’ve had it for 4 years. I don’t know how old it was when we got it, that’s why I provided the picture in the 3 x 6 inch enclosure. So people reading could perhaps get an idea of its relative size/ possible age when we purchased it. I figured the experts here could provide some enlightenment. Your best guess would be much better than mine. :)

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
We’ve had it for 4 years. I don’t know how old it was when we got it, that’s why I provided the picture in the 3 x 6 inch enclosure. So people reading could perhaps get an idea of its relative size/ possible age when we purchased it. I figured the experts here could provide some enlightenment. Your best guess would be much better than mine. :)
One good molt will answer your question. 🙋 . Size is irrelevant to gender . Some are big others small , trust the molt.

pancake

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I’m honestly worried about how it’s laying and not eating. Do you think it’s in death curl from the photo?

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Thanks. I’m honestly worried about how it’s laying and not eating. Do you think it’s in death curl from the photo?
If it’s still lying there like the second pic then I’d say maybe try and get it some water . Possibly get another picture. :pics:

Last edited:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
While that is an odd position, she may just be doing spider yoga. How long as she been that way? (Not sexing him/her in my questions)

pancake

Arachnopeon
I sprinkled some water down the wall, it looked like it sucked up a little. It’s never sat like that before. I’ll keep providing a little water and see what happens. I am grateful for any and all help.

i think it’s been like that now for 2 days.

Maybe getting ready to molt? Though it’s always made a hammock up high for every other molt. And its abdomen isn’t huge like it usually is when it molts. I’m really afraid we’ve killed it somehow.

Tbone192

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone, we are needing some help with our A. Avic. We’ve had her since 2000, so 4 years now. Guessing it’s female because throughout all her molts, she’s never developed hooks. Her leg span is approximately 4 inches or so. Her abdomen is small so we tried feeding her and she won’t take the dubia. We squirted some water along the walls and she sucked up a few droplets. The fact that she’s curled up and at the bottom of her enclosure worries us. Could it be old age?
Going to attach 2 photos. First one is when we got her, for size comparison that enclosure was about 3 inches by 6 inches if I’m remembering correctly. Second pic is her today. :-(
2000? 4 yro? That is a time traveling spider you have there. Jokes aside that doesn't look great. Offer a water dish and hope for the best. There are any number of problems it could be but as long as she responds to stimuli she is still kicking. She will either make it through or she won't. It is a terrible situation but keep your head up and keep doing all you can for her/him. My heart goes out to you.

pancake

Arachnopeon
2000? 4 yro? That is a time traveling spider you have there. Jokes aside that doesn't look great. Offer a water dish and hope for the best. There are any number of problems it could be but as long as she responds to stimuli she is still kicking. She will either make it through or she won't. It is a terrible situation but keep your head up and keep doing all you can for her/him. My heart goes out to you.
Oops, I meant 2020. Thanks, we will keep doing all that.

cold blood

Staff member
So people reading could perhaps get an idea of its relative size/ possible age when we purchased it.
Age isnt relevant to ANY help you could ever get or want to get...its literally a pointless thing to even bring up....for future reference.
I’m honestly worried about how it’s laying and not eating.
Its hard to figure. What you showed and what you said seem to be two different things.....your pic just seems like a normal avic...it seems to be elevated, its not super thin like you seem to think and it really just seems to be grooming.

Now if it is on the ground, that is worrisome as this is the first downward step to poor ventilation.....i cant tell, but does the top have ventilation?
Maybe getting ready to molt?
As you mentioned in the past, an avic preparing to molt will be creating a thick web tube...

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Could you post pictures of the entire enclosure she is in now? Has she been moved into a new enclosure somewhat recently?

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Keep Her Water Bowl filled and readily available within reach.
Remain Calm, and give Her Quiet Time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is it getting enough water? Where is the dish located? If it drank water droplets from the wall you might have to do that more. Not all avics seem to master the bowl, especially if it is on ground level.

pancake

Arachnopeon
This morning, it has a white fluid all over its mouth. I can’t tell if it’s thick or thin. Looks like milk. What could that be?

Keep Her Water Bowl filled and readily available within reach.
Remain Calm, and give Her Quiet Time.
Easier said than done with the calm part. :(

This morning, it has a white fluid all over its mouth. I can’t tell if it’s thick or thin. Looks like milk. What could that be?
The fluid looks kind of thin, liquidy.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +

Easier said than done with the calm part. :(

The fluid looks kind of thin, liquidy.
Sounds like poop. What is the ventilation like in her current home. As cold blood mentioned there, improper ventilation can kill an Avic.

TheraMygalo

Accipitridae
Arachnosupporter +
What has been your water routine since you got it?

and what is over all ventilation like. — ok i rechecked enclosure and see a few holes. If you keep adding water none stop, enclosure will get damp. Any condensation forms: its not good.

is substrate kept dry or moist?

Sometimes tarantulas do go to the ground and just tarantulate. But, since its an avic and we don’t have entire histore on watering, its hard to say.

like @darkness975 said, some avics just dont get around to using the water bowl. Did you ever see your tarantula use it? (Just for background info)

if you had more greenery, you could add water drops on leaves, and on the webbing.

you might need to add more holes if enclosure is too moist all the time.

i included a very good video about ventilation. And it talks about avics.

Last edited: