Planning out T growth rehousing

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
So I'm getting a P. Metallica sling 1.5 inch and a P. Murinus sling .5 inch. I will be starting both in a 16 ounce deli cup. Once they move up in size what would you recommend moving them into? I was thinking a 32 ounce cup and then to a larger sterilite container. How do you guys move your Terestrial and arboreal T's around as they grow?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I'm getting a P. Metallica sling 1.5 inch and a P. Murinus sling .5 inch. I will be starting both in a 16 ounce deli cup. Once they move up in size what would you recommend moving them into? I was thinking a 32 ounce cup and then to a larger sterilite container. How do you guys move your Terestrial and arboreal T's around as they grow?
Personally, I start my Pokis w/your size in a 32 oz. More space makes me the T feel safer during cage maintenance. 32 oz is the next step if you start 16, though at 1.5" I think you'll move to something else even larger personally if you start at 16.

At 16 oz, IME, it was way too easy for my P rufi to run up and out if I wasn't paying attention. While it never escaped, it was only 0.5-0.75". At 1.5" you are just asking for an escapee hahah

What do you mean by "move them around"

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
I mean move them from enclosure to enclosure. Like once the Pokie grows out of the 32 ounce cup then where to and after that then where.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I mean move them from enclosure to enclosure. Like once the Pokie grows out of the 32 ounce cup then where to and after that then where.
Ah transferring them. Each person has their own way. CAREFULLY is my way, along w/the bag transfer method (google it). Transferring Ts is like asking 100 people what's their philosophy on religion hah.

As for containers, people typically do what's best for them and many do what is cheapest (which sometimes is the best in some regards). Tons of examples on the pictures on the forum. From ExoTerra's to Sterilite etc

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I'd start that P. metallica out in a 32 oz and skip the 16 oz. They're super duper fast and their first instinct when spooked will be to go up so you want to give them plenty of room. I don't have any pokies yet but my Psalmo slings are not TOO far away from them as far as being speedy, flighty arboreals, and I start them in 32 oz delis; they do fine and I feel more at ease doing maintenance.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I go to Sterilite as quickly as possible . I find their containers to be much more durable then deli cups and more prone to staying closed in the event of a drop . Granted the best course of action is obviously don't drop your enclosure but accidents happen . Since you are talking about two species that you don't want running around your house . I say better safe then sorry when dealing with certain species .

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I go to Sterilite as quickly as possible . I find their containers to be much more durable then deli cups and more prone to staying closed in the event of a drop . Granted the best course of action is obviously don't drop your enclosure but accidents happen . Since you are talking about two species that you don't want running around your house . I say better safe then sorry when dealing with certain species .
What is the first Sterilite you move them into? I mean as far as size, etc? (assuming we're still talking about P. metallica)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i like my OWs in big cages, id put that P met in a gallon plastic jar right off the bat. the murinus id put in a 16oz deli for a molt or two and then a small KK.

WhitenerJ

Arachnosquire
I have a gallon plastic jar but don't really like those due to the opening on top has limited access to do husbandry and cleaning up of the enclosure.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I move all my spiders into their adult enclosures as early as possible. Usually by about 2 to 3 inches, depending on how small they were at acquisition. This means less transfers, for one thing. And, they do much better if they don't have to keep repeating setting up housekeeping.
Most of my spiders only get transferred once.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
What is the first Sterilite you move them into? I mean as far as size, etc? (assuming we're still talking about P. metallica)
I start with Sterilite , Glad or Rubbermaid . The only time I like to use deli cups is for shipping or when I have a sack full of slings to house . The size would be dependent on the size of the T going in it . Just use your better judgement . You want them to have enough move to move around with having too much which would make feeding difficult . I am not a Pokie fan so it's not my place to give advice housing them but with a half inch OBT i would use the Glad Mini round . Then move to the Two Cup Round container at around an inch before stepping up to the Rubbermaid Red Top Take Along serving bowl when it gets a DLS of more then two inches .