Pink toe tarantula. Any tips for noobs

SpiderRose0810

Arachnopeon
I just got a new pink toe tarantula. It's only the first day and I've been reading as much as I can on how to take care of him/her. Any tips for noobs. I have a basic enclosure with a branch from a tree outside that I thought might give it some hiding places. A little coconut house? A water bowl. And a natural cork I got with the tank.

IMG_20220316_192420530.jpg IMG_20220316_192521432.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Nonononono. Theyre arboreal. Set them up in a vertical enclosure. Taller than it is lengthwise. And make sure anything you grab from the outside doesn't contain any pesticides. Please do more research, you have not done enough. I think @viper69 has a link in his sig to avic husbandry. Again, please do more research, here specifically.

Ill give a basic guide to at least get you in the right direction. Vertical enclosure, lots of cover up higher to hide in. Make sure there is a lot of ventilation, and do not moisten the substrate unless there is. There are many different opinions about moisture. Avics die in stuffy enclosures. Some people have luck keeping them on bone dry sub. Ive never kept them, but if you have a lot of ventilation, id say overflow the water dish some. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon.

Edit: and sorry if I came across a little harsh, I just hate seeing these outdated caresheets misguide new owners.

Last edited:

SpiderRose0810

Arachnopeon
Yeah I just learned that I bought the wrong one. I bought it from PetSmart without knowing anything and I feel bad for my little Havi. I already ordered a taller tank and I won't be bringing anything from the outside back into my tank. Thank you so much for the extra advice.

Nonononono. Theyre arboreal. Set them up in a vertical enclosure. Taller than it is lengthwise. And make sure anything you grab from the outside doesn't contain any pesticides. Please do more research, you have not done enough. I think @viper69 has a link in his sig to avic husbandry. Again, please do more research, here specifically.

Ill give a basic guide to at least get you in the right direction. Vertical enclosure, lots of cover up higher to hide in. Make sure there is a lot of ventilation, and do not moisten the substrate unless there is. There are many different opinions about moisture. Avics die in stuffy enclosures. Some people have luck keeping them on bone dry sub. Ive never kept them, but if you have a lot of ventilation, id say overflow the water dish some. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon.

Edit: and sorry if I came across a little harsh, I just hate seeing these outdated caresheets misguide new owners.
And no honestly it's fine I just want to do what's best for the T I've wanted a tarantula ever since I was a kid. But I also wanna make sure I do right by it and make it as happy as it makes me.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I just learned that I bought the wrong one. I bought it from PetSmart without knowing anything and I feel bad for my little Havi. I already ordered a taller tank and I won't be bringing anything from the outside back into my tank. Thank you so much for the extra advice.

And no honestly it's fine I just want to do what's best for the T I've wanted a tarantula ever since I was a kid. But I also wanna make sure I do right by it and make it as happy as it makes me.
If you have SPECIFIC questions after reading my clicky Avic post- come back to this post and ask anytime

additude

Arachnosquire
All these guys answering are far more knowledgeable than I, but on observation, I ask, isn't that an overly large tank for that T.? It may be a bit out of its comfort zone. It's arboreal so tall stuff, not wide stuff. My Pink Toe likes it at the top of stuff in the enclosure. I have a branch and a cork bark. Good Luck!

Attachments

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
All these guys answering are far more knowledgeable than I, but on observation, I ask, isn't that an overly large tank for that T.? It may be a bit out of its comfort zone. It's arboreal so tall stuff, not wide stuff. My Pink Toe likes it at the top of stuff in the enclosure. I have a branch and a cork bark. Good Luck!
No such thing as too large imo when set up right, but you're right, this isnt atm. The bigger the setup=the more cover needed for avics.

However, some people do argue that there are cages that are too big, this is just my opinion.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
That tank has no side ventilation. You'll have to be very careful with watering, so it doesn't get stuffy in there. Also, it's top-opening. You'll likely find that your pet will web it right shut, denying access without ripping up its web everytime, or it making a dash. They tend to flee upwards.

additude

Arachnosquire
We've got the same brand enclosures for our Pink Toes. I put a cork bark piece up about 2" from the top to try and mitigate all the webbing shut and metal screen issues.

Attachments

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Screen is a no-go! Needs to be covered or replaced with drilled plexiglass. Add more foliage up top. Still way better than the first enclosure though, don't get discouraged!