Phoneutria sexing

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Does anyone knows how to sexing Phoneutria sp.?

I try to search on here but didnt seeing anything.

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty much the same as how you would sex any other Araneomorphs. Look for the bulbous pedipalps, which would indicate a male. Also, male Ctenids tend to be a lot more leggy and skinnier in the abdomen than females.

NYAN

Arachnoking
What size are they? If they are not within a 2-3 molts from maturity, post photos of the ventral. I can give it a shot at sexing them.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
What size are they? If they are not within a 2-3 molts from maturity, post photos of the ventral. I can give it a shot at sexing them.
Thanks, yes they are juvenile right now. I will try to post ventral pics but it may be bad quality. Of course this not easiest species to pose xD

I manage to get picture of 2 of them. The other 3 don't wanting to cooperate right now haha

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd like to hitch a ride here if i'm allowed.

P. nigriventer, body-length approx. 2cm (little less than 1"):

No. 1

No. 2

Thanks!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Thanks, yes they are juvenile right now. I will try to post ventral pics but it may be bad quality. Of course this not easiest species to pose xD

I manage to get picture of 2 of them. The other 3 don't wanting to cooperate right now haha

I need something clearer. A legspan would be helpful also. You can start sexing them fairly easily around 3 inches/10cm.

I'd like to hitch a ride here if i'm allowed.

P. nigriventer, body-length approx. 2cm (little less than 1"):

No. 1

No. 2

Thanks!
I’m thinking the first one is a male at least. The second looks female. If you want to wait 1-2 molts and take another photo, it’ll be a lot clearer.

Last edited:

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Thanks I will try to get clearer pictures some time. The ones I am having now are currently about 2.5 cm body length so probably too small to tell at this moments. I admiring the nigriventors, coloring is so beautiful -- very jealous!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I’m thinking the first one is a male at least. The second looks female. If you want to wait 1-2 molts and take another photo, it’ll be a lot clearer.
Thanks! This is interesting to me!

I'm documenting the changes of the ventral ophistosoma as they grow up. Females will have an all black ophistosoma while males will still show some orange or red.

I suspect that these two are of different sex. I have no idea about ventral sexing, so i strictly go by pattern. For now my guess would be the first will turn out female and the second one male. It'll be interesting to see how this will turn out.

I'll try to get more pics after the next molt, but it'll be more difficult then as i have to rehouse them and the next container will not be transparent. I have no idea how i'll be able to produce pics of the ventral side then. For obvious reasons i'm not too eager to deal with these any more than i have to.