Phoneutria fera

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi guys,

This may sound like a very stupid question, but here it is: Does any of you guys have any experience in keeping this spider?
I guess not, because it's extremely venomous, agressive and fast. But I'm kinda obsessed with them...
I read that it's very hard to find one of those, and it's even harder to not getting bitte by one. So would you recommend this species for keeping? I guess it would be just cool to look at it, or doesn't it move much. (to self: they are called wanderers, they walk a lot, duh!)
Even if you guys recommend these, it will take me ages to find one, and I guess I don't want to know how much they are going to cost me.

TiA

Ðennis

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would NOT recommend this species to anyone short of a complete arachnid expert. I've heard that Glades Herp has had them in the past, but I've never seen one there myself. So yes they are very rare in the hobby. I've never kept one, and this is one spider I think I never will keep !! Venomous is one thing . Black widows are venomous, but they're very clumsy, and not aggressive. Brown recluses are really timid. But these wandering spiders are just MEAN ! Not simply defensive, actually aggressive, attacking with zero provocation. And as for speed and agility, imagine E.cyognathus crossed with S. calceata.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hm ... I understand. Venomous, quick and mean were just understatements ...
Thx for your input, I will be looking at these guys from somewhat safer places then, behind my comp :).

Ðennis