Phlogius crassipes buried herself

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Not an Aussie gone walkabout but in this case a sub-adult female gone mining (she was about 4 inches when last seen) has not only webbed herself into her burrow but then added a layer of substrate from below to just reinforce the seal (see pic - didn't use my offered burrow entrance and went with her own quite close by). I'm assuming she wouldn't be daft enough to completely cut off air so I guess there's a small gap or two back to the surface but she's been down there a couple of months now I'd say. Time-wise she was probably due for a molt but starting to wonder at the duration. Cause for concern or just let her have peace for another month if necessary??

PhlogiusBurrow.jpg

ZestyTommyOldWorlds

Arachnopeon
Brooo, also Australian, my sub female took 3 months to molt and my other adult female 6 months, no rush for pre molt as it has no real time limit, but I’d say do some research on how long till you should be concerned. I wouldn’t be as old worlds, especially females like to burrow dwell. But just make sure you think she was in premolt because if she wasn’t she could just be full! Or looking for burrow security! Not very experienced but I’ve had tarantulas for a year now but I’ve done lots of research

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
No need for concern!! They need very little air, and can stay burrowed for months and months. She's either premolt or just full and content. Don't start worrying unless the enclosure starts smells bad!