Phidippus Jumper Videos

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First, a super long video of my freshly molted Phidippus regius 4th instars. Features about 8 different individual jumper babies.
[YOUTUBE]LqGMrezaFrU[/YOUTUBE]

Then we have my Phidippus audax jumpers mating. I paired Nomi, my NJ caught jumper with a WA caught male I got recently. They mated for two hours...rediculous!
[YOUTUBE]X6PF-If1PkU[/YOUTUBE]

And here is Nomi, being plain cute and curious beynd belief.
[YOUTUBE]mrNSSvZFdzk[/YOUTUBE]

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
More awesome videos! Your jumpers look very content. :)

What song did you put with the last vid, Nomi's walkabout? I'm not familiar with it, but i like it.

Nikkeh

Arachnopeon
Although i'm not a major fan of true spiders that last vid has to be the cutest thing i've ever seen!

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The song in the last video is by The Temper Trap- Sweet Desposition. :D

And I know, I LOVE when dogs and cats cock their head to the side when curious or confused, but it's even more adorable to see a spider do it. I'm not even sure why she'd tilt her head like that ( maybe to see better?)...I just interpret it as curious...and thinking of spiders as curious...you won't find that trait fits for most arachnids. I mean they can be amazing hunters and have particular habits, but curious? It's definitely why i'm obessed with the critters. They have something in them a bit like us and I can totally connect with em'. :p

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome videos you have there! hehe the mating jumping spdiers took two hours jeez! lol my dolomedes took about 1hour and 1/2 but that's because i had to wait inbetween tries.

great videos you have there!
all i can say for the last one - cute and i think he's looking at himself in the lense.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ever play the mirror game with these guys its quite fun to watch them interact with their reflection.
One of my favourite jumping spiders by far, absolutly adorable. I also enjoy making them pick between feeders, for instance they will take houseflies over moths. they are quick remarkable in their capability of limited thought.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesome videos you have there! hehe the mating jumping spdiers took two hours jeez! lol my dolomedes took about 1hour and 1/2 but that's because i had to wait inbetween tries.

great videos you have there!
all i can say for the last one - cute and i think he's looking at himself in the lense.
I would normally say she was probably looking at her reflection, but the lens itself is TINY. It's smaller than her largest eye and very dark. Abbout 1 1/2 mm's wide in diameter. There's no way she could be looking at herself. I thought the same thing until I turned the camera towards me and looked at the lens...I was surprised {D and I've had this camera for a year! Although if the light reflected on it, maybe she did think it was an eye itself? it looks kind of like one of theirs....but that'd be kind of an abstract thought there...:?

And Malhavoc, yes! I used to show my males their reflection a lot when I first got them, it was hilarious watching them do a mating dance, then realize it was another male and then go on the offensive. Maybe I'll get video of that sometime....it's so funny. The girls tend to just run away when they see themselves.

I'll try the food choice too, i gotta catch me some flies...it's like their catnip. :D

Last edited: