Pardosa distincta (Lycosidae)

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Two color forms of an attractive species, both males. I collected these last June. BL = 5mm:

The female is quite different. BL = 5.5mm:

Last edited:

mattrgraham

Arachnopeon
Nice photos. Where did you collect them? And are the two color morphs collected from the same population?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They were both collected on the same day, June 10, on a gas well lease; 3 acres of open ground: dirt with patches of low grass and low vegetation. The lease is surrounded by deciduous forest. NW Alberta, just out of Whitecourt. I didn't do any serious notetaking that day, but they were probably from the same population since I collected them from the same part of the lease (an area of about 20 x 20 yds).

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a closeup photo of the ground in that area, taken a couple of weeks later (there's a small lycosid of some kind in the middle of the picture). I think the area in this photo is about 1 sq ft. It'll give you an idea of the habitat. The area was full of lycosids of various kinds (mostly Pardosa) throughout the summer.

Attachments

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found this adult male yesterday, which looks nothing like the two males shown above; but it turns out, nevertheless, to be the same species (the palp is identical). Resembles the female, though. It was running through tall grass.